Sign in to follow this  
Guest FO UFO

8800GTS good enough for PMDG FSX?????

Guest FO UFO

Hi,I just bought my new computer (dual core 3ghz 6850, 2gb ram, and 8800GTS GPU). On the PMDG webside I see it recomends a 512 mb graphics card- but the 8800GTS only has 320mb- is this sufficinet?I'd have thought with those components running it should be something of a brease. I'm also still running XP but plan to upgrade to vista soon.

The 512 recommendation is a FSX one. That said, i am currently running FSX with the 320 8800 (XFX) card and the exact same processor (E6850) on a Gagabyte P35 board.Michael Greenblatt at FS-FG set up this system for me and it is simply superb. I will upgrade to the newest GPU when nVidia releases is (sometime around X-Mas/ 1Q 08- but am sticking with this card for now. He works wonders, and decimates all the mythology that floats around re. tweaks/fixes etc.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest FO UFO

Thanks, do you have any recomendations? and what settings do you use?Also, I'm currently running XP- would I get more from the system with an upgrade to vista? If so- 32 or 64 bit?Thanks alot

I have decided to stick with XP for a while yet. It would seem I'm not alone, especially in light of Microsoft's announcement to alllow for reverting to XP from Vista. XP Pro, 32 bit is my choice.As far as settings, Michael's FS-GS is a consultation service- I am therefore not at liberty to discuss his intellectual property. I will tell you unequivically that the cost for his services was the single best investment I have made in 15 years of flight simming- bar none! Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Carl,I like Michael's service too and used it a while back with FS9, but please don't turn every thread you post in here into an ad for FS-GS. This is a PMDG support forum and I think most are aware of Michael's service.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Nameless-First- welcome to the PMDG forum.Second- please read the forum guidelines above, and note that we require users to sign their posts in this forum with a name!As to your questions regarding the recommendations on our page: I am currently running an 8800 GTS 320- and it performs exceptionally well.You will likely see us alter the recommended hardware listed on our page because as we wrap every product up- we have a much clearer idea of what it will take to get good performance.In this instance there are also some issues with the way in which Vista handles physical and GPU memory... but we'll communicate more about that later to help you guys get a good idea what to expect.Stay tuned. ;-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Not only that, but it can't in good faith be called "intellectual property". It's not a creation of code or otherwise new technique, rather a very well-liked and accepted consulting service.As Ryan mentioned- while we've heard people enjoy his services, this isn't the forum for that discussion :-).

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest FO UFO

>>In this instance there are also some issues with the way in>which Vista handles physical and GPU memory... but we'll>communicate more about that later to help you guys get a good>idea what to expect.>>Stay tuned. ;-)>Does this mean I should stay with XP or move on to vista? If so 32 or 64 bit?Will just sort out signature

I have tried many games/simulations on the same conputer under XP and Vista. Without exception every program has run better and faster on XP. As for the video card that is what I am running. I actually see little difference in performance between min and max settings on the video card. FSX seems more processor intnsive that video card.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

It probably won't be enough. Trying to make FSX and a well-known 767 work at busy airports above 13-15 FPS is exhausting. You can turn down the graphics, but then it looks worse than FS9 at full settings, so what is the point? That has been my experience with an e6600 oc'd to 3ghz and an 8800GTS 640. And the PMDG 747 has always performed worse than said 767, at least in FS9 and I doubt they pulled out some magical code for FSX that makes it run really nice (not knocking them, it just doesn't seem likely). I would definately wait for reviews and other user's before buying the 747X....not because it'll be bad or anything but to be able to use it smoothly, and have settings in the sim that make it worthwhile using over a fully loaded FS9 setup is still another generation in hardware away. This is why they're releasing a dual platform MD-11...they know FSX runs like crap with complex add-ons.

Hi, I have a questions regarding that topic... I want to get a new video card, either 8800GTS 640mb or 8800GTX. However, the price gap between them are very huge, almost double. My question is that is it worth to spend double amount of money to get a GTX instead of GTS for playing FS9(primiary) or FSX(seldomly)? i.e. will I get at least 60% performance increase with gtx compare with 640mb gts.There are a lot of people making comparsion between them but they are not using FS as a benchmarking tool. I know FS is different from other PC games and I want to hear some advices on that.Beside that, what do you think about the price trend for the 8800 cards, everyone knows that they have new card coming out very soon and the price for 8800 GTS and GTX will drop for sure, but the question is, how many percentage. If the expected price drop is just 10 to 20%, I will get it right now, otherwise, I will wait. what do you think?thanks,Benny P.S. I am using Pentium D 940 3.2ghz oc to 3.8ghz, 2gig DDR2 800, Asus P5K premium, 22" LCD monitor and a 650W power supplier

Hi Benny , I had the 8800 GTS 640 MB during three months and I was really happy with it, then I had the chance to upgrade for the 8800GTX, and did it.Well, I didin

Until very recently I've been using an 8800GTS with 320Mb factory overclocked to 575Mhz. It was absolutely fine.Out of curiosity as much as anything else, I recently upgraded to an Ultra 8800 factory overlocked to 655Mhz. I've written about the differences I found in the hardware section of the FSX forum on Avsim. In short: in my own set-up, I've noticed quite a big step up in performance from the 8800GTS, but it's not exactly value for money.Tim Morshead

Guest MauiHawk

>I have tried many games/simulations on the same conputer>under XP and Vista. Without exception every program has run>better and faster on XP. With the newer nvidia drivers, it is no longer necessarily the case that games will run faster on XP. Though I don't go back and forth, I've seen a number of posts on boards within the last few months where ppl post better benches on Vista vs XP.However, it is virtually guaranteed that Vista will use more memory, even with the recent Vista patches.As for FSX specifically, ACES has promised better optimatization (ie removing load from CPU) with SP2 under DX10 vs DX9. It remains to be seen just how much of a difference it will make.Steve.