Sign in to follow this  
Guest tomahawk_pa38

VNAV question and an ATIS Question

Guest tomahawk_pa38

I've used VNAV a lot and sometimes no problems at all and other times - problems. Even though I use real world weather and input forecasts - sometimes it misbehaves. For example recently EGKK - LEIB CORDA2N STAR for landing runway 24. This calls to cross ADX (Andraitx on Majorca) at or above FL120. No problems with winds (000/00) aircraft descending nicely from FL350 passess ADX at FL120 on target. After that a slow descent - so slow in fact that the next thing I notice is that I'm about 10 miles from landing and I'm still at 8000ft with no error messages or any warning like "Steep Descent after XXX etc". Anybody any idea why it wouldn't go down ?Second question, LEIB has an ATIS frequency of 117.8 - how do you pick this up please and is there a way of knowing what ATIS frequencies are stored in FS9 as sometimes the ones on the published charts don't seem to work.Dave

I too have had trouble with VNAV. In my case it sometimes fails to take control of the authothrottle when expected, particularly after takeoff. But choosing different pitch control modes on the MCP usually - eventually - seems to kick things back to normal.Your problem sounds equally strange. Obviously you reset the altitude in the MCP to descend at all, so that's not the culprit. There's no possibility, is there, that the CORDA2N STAR has been mis-programmed in your database, for example by giving wrong and un-achievable alititudes at different fixes after ADX?As for ATIS: you can interrogate - and indeed edit - the FS9 database using a programme called AFCAD. I think this is available from AVSIM. On the "Lists" menu in AFCAD, there is an entry for "Comm Frequencies", which is what you're looking for.Tim Morshead

The reason why you can't tune it to the ATIS frequency you give here is because it's tied to a VOR, all frequencies from 108 to 117.975 are used by VOR, ILS; the frequencies above that up to 136.975 MHz are used for comms .. in real life, many ATIS broadcasts are tied to a VOR, so to listen out you have to use the VOR receiver's identification feature .. i don't think FS simulates this .. i just checked the charts for LEIB and indeed the ATIS is coupled to the Ibiza VOR (IBA - 117.8)Jan

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Thanks for the info. Can you edit the frequencies in FS2004 so that it uses one you can tune into then ?

Pass. I've used this tool to add ILS to an airport which was wrongly shown without this facility in the FS9 database. But I've not fiddled with the comms settings.Tim

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Thanks Tim. Interestingly, Ibiza has ILS both ends but you only get offered runway 24 in the FMC. However, when you hit the Init key to select your approach, ILS runway 06 is up there as 109.50 heading 063 except you can't select it. The message on the Nav display says something like EFIS/something, something doesn't agree (can't quite remember exactly what it says - also the FMC message says something like NAV not Valid. Not sure why the FMC doesn't offer 06 yet the Init page shows it.

FYI: If your using Active Sky for weather and you load the flight plan into it, you can tune to 122.0 to hear ATIS at your destination.