Sign in to follow this  
NicholasB

So what happens next!! or not

>>Perhaps they were waiting for finalization of SP2...so they>>can implement VC shadows?>>Not going to happen, it requires rebuilding the entire VC to>do it and we just found out about that feature very recently>ourselves...>According to Phil you don't need to reprogram the VC just compile under SP2 with VC shadows checked and voila it works.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Nick,I support your effort to pipe up... there's nothing wrong with out anticipation. We have gone on a teeter totter ride awaiting developments from PMDG and others.I don't subscribe to the notion of "until it is pefect." I'll bet good money that we see a Serive Pack on the product no matter how much it is tested and perfected. Once a product "gets out there" on a wide variety of machines, unknown and hidden bugaboos will arise. THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS.So, yes, it has been a month - we want it.Jeff

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

>>>Perhaps they were waiting for finalization of SP2...so>they>>>can implement VC shadows?>>>>Not going to happen, it requires rebuilding the entire VC to>>do it and we just found out about that feature very recently>>ourselves...>>Phil made it sound like as long as the model was developed for>FSX (which your 747X was right?), it should be as simple as>checking a box and hitting rebuild. In this case, I believe>you over Phil. >>Steve.>The models are built with 3DS/Gmax and must be submitted to the plug-in tools which accompany each SDK. I understand texturing to be somewhat different, but I don't think the actual model has to change for FSX. In any case, PMDG are in tight with ACES, so I guess they know. However, since they are finding out about the feature about when we are, then who really knows who is in tight with who.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guys I'm sure Vin would do it if it was as easy as checking a box. Our VC isn't exactly a simple one either, there's other stuff at play in it than just the bare minimum SDK-based stuff that would make this easy to do.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Jambo

I think the issue here again is one of communication, obviously we dont want a product that doesnt work and yes we all accept that even if a actual release date is given and then due to a problem it has to get put back, then again altough disappointing, we wil all be realistic and accept these things happen, but it would just be nice to be kept in the picture. I think it is right for companies to give forcast dates of release of products, and if they dont get met, or look likely to be met then, they should again update their customers with some basic reasons why and the then expected delay, surely as a products development gets closer to completion, then the bugs become less, or become more obvious the work that is required to fix them and thus a better more accurate estimate can be given as to when it is likely to be released. I also agree that for all the testing, the users will still break it and find something that needs tweaking or fixing, or additional features that require adding or obviously when sp2 comes out pmdg might be able to take advantage of.This discussion of communication as been brought up before, and i think from a customer service point of view, just releasing(eventually) great products isnt enough, communication with the customer before and after is also needed. people are patient, some more than others i agree, but treating people like they are bad for showing an interest in something, that i more than imagine makes the developers who work on it proud, and also a company money shouldnt be knocked, insulted or ridiculed by others. This isnt freeware, this is a company now making a considerable amount of money.So yes septemeber we did expect to see this product, yes i accept there may have been delays because of a troublesome bug, staff issues to get the work done, or whatever, but as the end of the month approached and this date became obvious it wasnt going to be met, a simple post on here, explaning such, and to expect it early/late october or november, would have saved two or even three of the extened message groups on here!James Carr(EGBB ATCO)

Well said Jambo. I think that you only need to check the forum every so often to realise that you speak for many of us. I presume that PMDG has a PR person - if so, use him/her and tell them that part of their brief is to write regular updates. There are people with money out there who are going to give up waiting. I suspect that many MD11 fans already have!Gerry

This is a general reflection of mine and not related to PMDG's way of doing business. What amazes me is when producers state the reason for not giving updates is lack of time and busy developing. While I don't expect FULL updates I'm certainly interested in simply hearing that the developer is still active! So a simple post saying "Yep, we are here and busy writing codes" would suffice for me. I suppose there are aspects of this that you have to be a developer to understand, but still months without a word is really not a nice way to treat a POTENTIAL customer. Of course, the developer is not obliged to give updates but it certainly affects my wiev of an developer. At the same time, I have VERY short memory and once a product I'm waiting for is released, all waiting is forgotten! :)

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest thx1137

Amen, if one of my projects is running late my clients would have a fit if they weren't warned before release day. If I tell them earlier they may still get upset but they don't feel like mushrooms or that they are not important to me. I expect PMDG don't see us as unimportant but it is the actions, not the thoughts that are important.There are plenty of non-flight sim games out there that have development blogs that give a little detail about development progress during regular intervals, these are perfect because the gamers get info on how things are progressing and get an appreciation for how tough it is to build quality software. Even ACES are doing it to an extent now with Phils postings!Saying there is no time is really saying that it isn't a priority, thats fair enough because it is their company as long as they don't expect many of us to like it. In the end it will make no difference to my purchasing decision, PMDG are the best (ATM! :-)) so we just have to put up with it.Steven.

Guest Binkles

I think pmdg are damned if they do, damned if they don't."We know there will be a bug - so release it now" and then have everyone complaining xyz doesn't work?I remember reading "within a month unless something happens", doesn't take a heart surgeon to work out that possibly something happened.Good on pmdg on giving a guideline of when they're going to release - but stating that's only if everything is ok.I personally would prefer a plane that is good to start with, and with all the different configs of people's machines - that's what the patch fixes if required.Last thing most people would want is the 3 patches as the 737 had.Laurence

Guest Jambo

Or not dammed either way as they are still the only developer of a 747, and so will get our money what ever attitude they give towards their customers. I read in another thread, there are problems with the purchasing interface, and trying to get it to work the way they want it to, so users who already own the fs9 version get a discount, so there is an example of good customer service, but the thread is hidden away in here and if this is one of the factors that is now delaying the release then surely a stickied post explaining this, along with any other little niggles that needed sorting out could be said and explain roughly the time frame they expect to have all things sorted. and we would all be happy(ish)PMDG, you dont need to listen to your customers now, the 747 is unique to you, and yes even your level of exellence in the products is unique to you, but your next products, 737, airbus etc by the time you get round to releasing those it might not be the case, with other developers coming online, and their standard, and features they offer becoming better, free support for exteral hardware, like level D have done for example, customer service might be the feature that makes the buyer decide where he/she puts their money.Like i say you dont have to release a legally binding release date, #### you dont even have to release it yet if it isnt right, but for heavens sake, say something! at this rate you lot could have actually folded and it be about 6 months before any of us stopped posting and realised you had!James Carr(EGBB ATCO)