Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

Problem entering Flight Plans into the FMC

Guest cliffie1931

I understand that Waypoints are entered on the right side and Airways on the left.However I am not clear as to how to identify Airways. As an example I set out below a Flight Plan taken at random from the Internet. How do we identify the Airways?TNCA ABA BEROX UW7 PTA UA554 SEKAR A554 (GTK TOOMS KUPEC) CHAMP B24 (LYNUS FISSH) SIE VCN-STAR KILG Cliff

Cliff,As far as I know, airways are named with a combination of letters and numbers (with a max of five). On the contrary, waypoints (VORs, NDBs or simple intersections)are named with a combination of letters only (with the same max of five).So, in your flightplan, you can guess that UW7, UA554, A554 and B24 are airways.The prefix "U" in an airway means that belongs to Upper airspace (above FL245).You can go to WWW.routefinder to get very clear flightplans where every waypoint or airway is detailed.Jose Luis.

Cliff,Firstly, ensure that your NAVDATA cycle is fully up-to-date...NAVIGRAPH provide a good service for a reasonable price. Also ensure that the programme you are using to build your rte is fully up-to-date & reflects the version of NAVDATA that you are using, or you will run into problems.Airways are normally coded in an alpha-numeric format & easily identifiable - hence UW7 etc. Sometimes things can get rather more complicated...paper enroute charts (IMHO) are an invaluable tool to help if you encounter issues...depending on your budget...they can also become out-of-date very quickly as the NAVDATA cycles change regularly.As I am not looking at my FMC at the moment (at work) I cannot verify your route...but under normal circumstances the info should be entered as follows:RTE Page 1 Place TNCA into the boxes in the top left hand corner of the screenPlace KILG into the boxes in the top right hand corner of the screen.Now move to RTE page 2Place the first waypoint (ABA in your case) over the dotted lines at line 1 on the right hand side (this key is normally refered to as LSK1R).As your rte now appears to fly direct to the next waypoint (BEROX), place BEROX directly below ABA on the right hand side (LSK2R).Your rte now appears to follow an airway (UW7) to waypoint PTA, so place the airway (UW7) into the dashed line on the left hand side ONE LINE BELOW the last entry on the right (LSK3L), if the route is accurate the dashed lines opposite on the same lines should now change into boxes, allowing you to enter any position along that airway...Place PTA into LSK3R & if the rte is correct the FMC will now insert all the necessary waypoints into the legs page for you to check later on & PTA will appear at LSK3R...and so on as you build the rte.Its a little like making a route on a freeway/motorway; you would only enter the start point or anchor, the freeway number & the exit point, the FMC adds in all the junctions that you will pass enroute.This technique is explained clearly in the PMDG AOM & well worth a few minutes study if you have the time.Hope this helpsKind Regards

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Guest cliffie1931

Jose and Steve I'm grateful to you for your help.I'm going to print and use your advice.Thanks guys!Cliff

Guest cliffie1931

Jose you mention that "you can go to WWW.routefinder to get very clear flightplans"I've only been able to find road planning at this address. Is there a more specific link or have I missed flight plans on this site?Regards..........Cliff

Hi there CliffHe got the name right, but not the adress:)Probably something to do with ownership of adress and so on :)But here is the actual adress: http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/This is a free service, but you can also get a membership for some Euros, and you will in addition get the possibility to export the flightplans directly in to the PMDG FMC, in addition to several other addons. Plus ofcourse the FS200x flightplan format.Regards Audun

Thanks Audun, it was my mistake, that is the correct website for the ROUTEFINDER I was referring to.Jose Luis.

Guest cliffie1931

Wonderful! I've been having withdrawal symptoms not being able to use FsNavigator in FSX so, after a quick look at what this site offers, it appears as if it may be the answer to what I've been looking for.I didn't want to rely on being able to just use the (presumably included) PMDG Flight Plans when the new 747-400 becames available. Now it seems as if I'll be able to produce Flight Plans then enter them into the FMC or able to export them to the new PMDG aircraft. Thank you so much Audun............Regards,Cliff

Guest cliffie1931

Steve may I ask for clarity on a particular question?I followed your advice and entered the Plan with no problem whatsover.Out of curiosity I then created a Flight Plan for the same flight in Routefinder and came up with:TNCA DCT NOREX UA567 BEROX UW7 PTA UA554 SEKAR A554 GTK R763 BACUS AR8 ECG V266 SUNNS V194 CVI J193 13156 J209 SAWED J121 SWL STAR KILGMy question: Do I enter "STAR" (the second last word)or is it automatically dealt with by the FMC?Regards.............Cliff

Hi CliffI do not think the FMC will cope with you entering STAR in your routes page, this entry in the flightplan from routefinder is just to specify that SWL are the last waypoint in your route, and the starting point of the appropiate STAR, BUT I have to say after using routefinder for some time now, routefinder is not that good at the STAR handling, you will find that the STAR startpoint seldom will suit the direction and runway you want to use, so there may be need for some modifications at the end of the flightplan.But this is things you will work out after a little while. :)And regarding providing you with the link to the site, don't mention it, thats why we are here. :)Little edit: I forgot to mention that the STAR's are entered in the DEP/ARR page, but you did know that i presume. :)Regards Audun

Guest cliffie1931

Audun you mention that "the STAR's are entered in the DEP/ARR page".Thanks for telling me. I didn't know that.Are there other Flight Planners that allow for the appropriate STAR planning? And, if that's the case, why do you use routefinder? Regards...............Cliff

>Audun you mention that "the STAR's are entered in the DEP/ARR>page".>>Thanks for telling me. I didn't know that.>Well, the fact is that you don't "ENTER" a STAR in the DEP/ARR page, you "SELECT" one if there is any available for the particular runway you expect for arrival.Jose Luis.

Jose LuisYou are completly right, thank you for correcting me :)CliffYes why do I use RF, well I used the free version as a starter, and progressed to the member version after a while, and I have sort been stuck there. RF suits my needs, and I don't havethe need for any more advanced routeplanner at this date. But you never know :)And I think there are several good planners out there, both freeware and payware, but I have no idea which one is best to go for. :)Regards Audun