Sign in to follow this  
Guest drobson

Multiple monitors

I have a few monitors at my disposal. I want to put a monitor on each side of my main monitor, so I have side views out of the cockpit at all times. Is this possible? Do I need to have a computer that powers these as well, and if so, how do I network them?thanks!!!!

You won't be able to do this without a separate computer running each monitor along with software like Wideview...*Unless* you want to try a multi-monitor card like the new Matrox Parhelia (see front news on this forum for a link for a good gaming review). It may indeed be worth your consideration. The biggest drawback appears to be resolution, but a Matrox rep I spoke with assures me there are other ways around this, including undocking your windows and running them in the other monitors.I was trying to get Matrox to demo this card at the AVSIM conference, but I haven't heard anything about it yet (Tom?). Maybe it's time to redouble my efforts. I'd love to see just how well FS2002 could do with the undocked windows, as opposed to what all the reviewers are doing.

thanks Mike!I actually do have 2 PII350's that I could use to run the other monitors. Would I use a hub to connect them, then run Wideview to push the image out?

As I understand Wideview, yes. But you should check it fully out (including the requirements).If you don't already have network cards, one of the more intriguing possibilities is to buy firewire cards for all your computers. All you need do then is hook them directly together for a lightning fast network (they talked about this on yesterday's ScreenSavers program, and I'm sure there are more details on their site).I actually put a firewire card in my PC for the first time last night and, sure enough, XP recognized it as a "network" device. Quite interesting (particularly when my PC recognized my rather old DV recorder and then proceeded to control it perfectly. Sometimes when this stuff works it's eerie).Alternately you could just get a cheap router (I have a Linksys but I need it for my DSL sharing).

Guest drobson

You can run up to 8 monitors from one computer (Win98 SE and later), as long as you have enough slots to install video cards. I've been running two since the fs98 days from my Matrox G400 dual head video card. Others have installed additional video cards and run multiple monitors that way.Darrell

The original poster was talking about doing a 3D view out his other monitors (if you read his post). This isn't possible no matter how many cards you have -- just try it (it will bring your FPS down to slideshow mode).Only the Matrox card can support multiple 3D views with acceptable FPS. The only alternative is to use Wideview (or some such program -- actually nowadays the SDK will support other software approaches) with multiple CPUs.