Sign in to follow this  

SW Airlines. Regional Feeders?

Guest 727Fan

For all you Southwest Airlines experts:As we all have seen develop over the years since deregulation, the major airlines have developed the hub and spoke system for passenger traffic. Yet I know of no regional airline that serves Southwest Airlines.There have been many nice repaints of the DH 8-100. New regional aircraft developed like Mike Stone's Beech 1900D, RJ85, ERJ-145. The ATR and Jetstream too(even a nice UA Beech King Air). So I've used them as AI to funnel traffic to the hubs. But Southwest remains without any, and still a mystery to me. Anybody care to enlighten me?Rick

I believe I asked the same question once and I think the main reason that Southwest does not operate a regional carrier is because it's not a 'hub and spoke' airline, like the other majors. Many low-cost, low-fare airlines use a different strategy and usually travel between major and minor cities in legs. So, where Delta might fly an ATL-BWI-ATL route, Southwest would fly BWI-PVD-ISP-MCI-ABQ-MDW or something like that. And this pretty much eliminates the need for a regional operator to cover smaller legs. Southwest has made a profit using this strategy and as far as I can tell, I dont think they are planning to change that or make allowances for a regional feeder. Of course, I could be wrong (this is all my opinion). Also, Southwest is trying to operate only two types of aircraft (737-300 and -700). I often wondered why they didnt think of the 737-400 or -800 as others, but I believe someone explained that the capacity helps with their cost-cutting procedures, which is why they want something with only 137 seats - no more or less (hence their retirement of 737-200s and -500s). Again, I'm no expert and perhaps I should have read up on Southwest's history and reasons for their structure, but I hope that answers your questions somewhat.George

Guest Joshieca

golfbravo is correct....If there is a place that Southwest does have a hub its KPHX and KLAS. Most of their aircraft at one point or another travel through one of these two cities. But once again golfbravo is correct. They use the "hope skip and a jump" approach to flying. Also, not sure if its currently, but a vast majority of their company was/is employee owned. Their business model has become quite successful. Easy to maintain planes by using only two or three different models, less for a their mechanics to have to know, short flights, no food on board only snacks, no seat assignments. They have grown from the small "Texas Triangle" regional airline from the 80's. If you want to know more about them, just do an internet search on Southwest airlines history or Southwest airline business model.-J[br][br][div align=center][br][link:members.cox.net/fstimes/wetimage.html]Weather Image of the Day!

Yes golfbravo is definately right. I found a ticket on SWA one way from Seattle to Tampa for $99. Too good to be true right? Well, yes it was a very LONG flight. We took off from Seattle & landed in San JoseTook off from San Jose & landed in Los AngelesTook off from Los Angeles & Landed in HoustonTook off from Houston & landed in Albuqurque (+ a 4 hour layover)Took off from Albuqurque & finally landed in Tampa.Next time I wnt to Florida, we flew Continental. :)

They are great for those of us living in Texas though. I live in Austin, and I can get to Dallas or Houston every 30 minutes on a Southwest flight. They also have nonstops to Raleigh/Durham (just did that one Sunday), Baltimore, and other places that you just can't get on anyone else directly from Austin.But N212NW is right about the flights that show 3 stops or something. Avoid those. heheDenny