Sign in to follow this  
Guest darrenthe747400

Grainy display pics attached

Guest darrenthe747400

Hello,I recently built a new computer and since I installed FS9 I am seeing these grainy textures.Here are the computer specs:E6850 @ 3.0EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 Mobo4 GB Crucial Ballistix 1066 RAMWestern Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM HDDGeForce 8800 GTS 640 MBSound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme GamerAll drivers up to date.If anybody can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,Darren

A daytime picture might have been a better choice in this case. I can't really see enough to even guess what you problem might be.

Dave Paige

Guest darrenthe747400

Night time pictures are when the problem is at its worst. Look around the edges of the instrument panel. Can't you see the green and off colors? Darren

Guest andyman

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Maybe your video card has a problem? Or your monitor?

Guest Sam_Hampson

Turn the panel lights on, it will look alot better.Sam

Guest darrenthe747400

It's strange because I have never noticed this before. I guess what happened is that my old monitor was a Dell 21" flatscreen, and my new monitor is a 22" Samsung widescreen LCD. The clarity of the monitor probably just makes me notice more. Well thanks anyway!Darren

Guest flybywire380

Another thing you might want to look at, and dont take my word for it this is just a theory, one of two things could be happening. Either your panel resolution isnt high enough , or if you can, try 256 bit color settings, though im not sure that you can even do that any more but its worth a shot. again just a thought and im not entirely sure that that will solve your problem.Brandon ElamDL659UPS611

256 bit color? The highest Windows and any modern graphics card can do is 32 bit... 256 bit would be an insane amount lol, far more than the human eye can see.If you're switching to an LCD, a couple things. Almost all LCDs exhibit something known as "banding" on smooth color gradients (gradients are where a color smoothly fades into another). Banding looks like discrete steps of colors instead of a smooth fade between them. It's going to be worse on the cheaper LCDs that use what are called TN screens. It's much less pronounced on the higher end screens, which use P-MVA and S-IPS LCD elements. I can barely detect it on a really drastic gradient on my 24" LG, which has a P-MVA screen. The best ways to minimize the banding though are: 1. Make sure you're running in 32bit color. (Check both your desktop display settings and the resolution setting in FS - the number on the end is the color depth (32 or 16). If you're somehow in 16 bit color, the video card actually has to change the gradient into discrete color bands because the intermediate steps that make the gradient look smooth are among the colors 32bit has but 16bit doesn't. You can really easily see this in the sky in FS if you switch to 16 bit and then back to 32 bit.2. Calibrate your monitor. If the contrast/brightness/gamma and color settings are wrong, the banding issue will be much more pronounced. Here's a nice site that can help you get roughly in the ballpark as far as correct calibration goes: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/I actually bought a hardware screen calibrator when I got this LG monitor a few weeks ago, and it really made a nice difference, not only in how the monitor looks sitting in front of me but also in how much closer things look printed vs. on-screen. That was the Pantone Huey Pro - http://www.pantone.com

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com