Sign in to follow this  
Boeing_Captain

B744 ACARS Update

Hi all,Having just recently purchased both the pax and freighter version of the 744, I was wondering whether or not you guys are still planning an ACARS update in the future?Being a long term user of the Level-D 763, I both like and am used to feeding winds aloft data into the FMC RTE DATA page. While I know you can do this in the 744 too, the operations manual suggests an ACARS update would be required to simulate this properly.I do not have any intentions of moving over to FSX as yet, so if this feature is implemented in the upcoming version of the 744, then fair enough. I will wait patiently until I am ready to move over to it. However, if not, would you guys consider making an update for both the FS9 and FSX version in the future?Great product by the way. Im very impressed.Thanks in advance.

Lee-This issue has been discussed ad nauseaum- there are a few of us who try and eke every last bit out of this platform, and we have been asking repeatedly for an update- adding more systems, EICAS pages, ACARS functionality (even if its just interfacing with the BAV ACARS in FSWide) etc. Despite the entry in the manual we have been told repeatedly that the 747-400/F is a finished product, and no updates are planned.We maintain hope, and with regular requests from more that just the tiny group "regulars" it is our hope that PMDG will release a 747-400/F V2. Those of us asking, are willing to pay full product prices for the update- but the question of how large this interest group is- is the one that seems to keep this from being a priority. To the vast majority of PMDG users, missing EICAS messages, or the fact that all three versions (despite the different instrumentation) use the same thrust model are things of insignificance. It is our hope that we will prevail- there's no better 744 simulation to hang a hat on- that's for sure! PS1 while lovely in the way that it faithfully modeled systems, left much to be desired in the areas of interaction with other a/c, ATC, visuals etc. For the 744 driver- PMDG is it!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

When you think about it though, could the FMC programming be so different that PMDG would have to spend 2 years to reverse the ACARS for FS9? I know they said that the FS9 B744/F is a done deal but maybe someone will take at least the reverse engineering of the ACARS on as a side project.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Lee, Carl Ryan & the PMDG TeamI posted these points several weeks ago...gently does it I guess!!While we are at it here are my FSX744 wish list items:1. Fully implemented WPT WIND DATA entries, as you say with ACARS/SATCOM uplink facility to upload from FS WX, AS5/6 or better still SB3.2. On the FIX Page a PRED ETA/ALT entry possible (useful for displaying that all important MSA, crew changeover time & an instant indication of pred eta at a particular pos or fix - handy for predicting your arrival time at each pos on a NAT/PACOT...if the green doughnut moves away from the fix your eta may have changed...contact ATC).3. RTE OFFSET function, if activated displaying WPT data (eta) by each waypoint/pos or fix.4. OFFPATH DES function, those blue/white dash/dot circles are handy for energy management.& finally...the biggy IMHO...5. Drivers for the Aerosoft Australia MCP/EFIS/EICAS compatible with FSX744...there is no other big Boeing MCP product on the market...Gently Does ItKind RegardsSteve Bell

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Gentlemen,I guess at this stage I should also like to add that an update to 'reverse engineer' such improvements into the FS9 version of the PMDG 744 would be very useful to those of us like me who are out to lunch on the whole FSX issue until the point where the requisite hardware exists to make the thing run consistently at the level I am experiencing with FS9.Gently does itKind RegardsSteve Bell

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Ryan would it be possible to integrate Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers ACARS/CPDLC unit within PMDG?www.hoppie.nl/acars/ Even if the FMC had a link key (FMC COM that would open up a window showing this particular FMC. The program is as real as it gets (I use it RW) and would be the perfect compliment to the PMDG 747.ACARS, FANS and CPDLC are here already and the company that includes these features within their program will be light years ahead.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Steve:This application seems to hold a lot of promise......if someone more knowledgeable than I (Lefteris, Dr. V et al) could at least look at the necessary code that would need to be integrated into the current CDU to allow for the Hoppie ACARS functionality- that would be wonderful. The author seems to have no issue with (rather encourages) persons using his code and ACARS server.I know 400X is taking up team resources, but after the release (I still think they won't go to FanCon without a product release) hopefully one of the software gurus could at least look at the issues involved and comment- or better yet release a patch to integrate this ACARS into the CDU.Obviously, Steve B. makes some excellent points - would love to see those issues as well as the problem of all 3 engine variants USING THE SAME THRUST MODEL despite the different instrumentation rectified.Yes we are picky but we love her so and fly her almost exclusively- and believe PMDG can produce the ultimate 744 sim!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Carl,I have used Hoppie's ACARS software and can attest to its usefulness.I too would like to see it being used by the VA flying community. Hoppie deserves success in its use in the forthcoming WorldFlight 2007 which, if PMDG 747-400X and SB4 is released, I will fly with. He has been a long-term major contributor to extending this part of our flying experience.Hoppie's sopftware has made a great addition to the information available to ATC. A great add-on to the ACARS functionality will be when someone develops the VA element that can use the ACARS VA transactions. I feel strongly that we will have significant new community function when we can fly using a VA with a fleet of aircraft (as do Stevens VA currently using Flightline), and the flights flown contribute to the information required to effectively run a VA (e.g. aircraft maintenance schedules, pilot airline hours flown, aircraft location, VA economics, etc). Such software would, I am sure, be implemented by most existing VAs.Until then, I can only encourage others to try out the ACARS software at http://www.hoppie.nl/acars/ with their flights and be rewarded with a rich experience.Cheer, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Carl,Can you reply to me off-line with an e-mail to speedbird@dsl.pipex.com as I have a request of you.Many thanks, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

>>Yes we are picky but we love her so and fly her almost>>exclusively- and believe PMDG can produce the ultimate 744>>sim!>>I thought they already did produce the ultimate B744. :( >>Ryan Gamurot>Lucky to live Hawai'i>>http://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.pngRyan:This post is in no way to be construed as PMDG bashing. They produce my very favorite aircraft sim, and the one that I fly almost exclusively- venturing away from her no more than 2-3 times a month. I think they produce a SUPERB simulation!Being this committed to their platform, however, I would like to see more complete systems modeling. I do not hop from one a/c to the other, instead, try and "fly" the 744 as realistically as possible. It is because of this, I ask for more.I am gratified to see there are at least a few others that feel the same way- enchanted, yet expectant. Yes, for FS9 (and possibly for FSX) there is no better simulation IMHO- but having "flown" PS1 for years, I know there are systems that can be modeled that are not- surely it is not negative to ask for improvement?Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper