Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

Raw Data

I understand that in some ways flying this sim can be harder than real worlds ops since we are flying these aircraft as a one man show. We handle checklist's FMC programming and checking, fuel and takeoff calculations, on top of that getting clearence etc on Vatsim (or whatever you use) But i was curiuos as to how many of you practice flights using 'Just' Raw navigation? I was reading a topic on pprune and realised I don't practice this enough due to being so busy during departure and arrival. So I'm going to make more of an effort to keep my skills up to scratch. Is this something everyone else has been doing all along?Robert Prest

Rob Prest

Robert-Reading Bill Bulfer's Big Boeing FMC User's Guide (thanks to Steve B.) he suggests checking map integrity with raw data on localizer sensitive (terrain) airports. I have gotten into the habit of switching and checking on each approach (good practice I think). Of course with GPS updating and good radio aid coverage map shifts aren't as common as the used to be!Also, once in a while flying a complex procedure (WOBUN2F out of EGLL for example) I will set up the FMC, and hard tune the VORs and NDB's with course lines as always, but then then hand-fly or MCP fly using raw data. Both are necessary skills, and soon lost without practice. All the glass bits and bobs are lovely- but seat of the pants flying is lovely too, and could conceivably save your bacon one day.On the Budgie there is nothing but raw data- and I enjoy her as well!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

During my instrument training I was taught to use all the nav I've got and cross check. Two reasons, you can spot problems early ("now I wonder why it's doing that?") and secondly it aids in keeping an awareness of the situation. It's an hold habit now. Even if the Garmin is "flying" the plane I keep the VORs dialed up in the real world.

Dan Downs KCRP