Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard_H

FS 2002 won't start up! Help!!!

when i try to laod FS 2002, I get the default splash screen, and the hourglass but the sim will not load no matter how long I wait.I had just reinstalled fs 2002 and it worked fine for 1 day. Now it wont load.My system is a dell XPS t 450 with 13gb drive 512MB ram pentium III 450 and a GEforce 2 64MB video card with the latest drivers.Windows 98 second editionAny ideas?ThanksMike NeonesFavorite area to Fly--Alaska!

Guest Richard_H

That's happened to me too.I resolved it (but not the other system freezes) by freeing up some RAM. Suggest you try:1. Getting rid of some of the stuff sitting in RAM in the bottom right of your screen (by the clock). 2. EnditAll, which is another shareware product, which will get rid of other programs running in background, which you are not particularly aware of.3. RamBuster, which is a shareware product. This works, but at the end of the day is a temporary solution, as you have to keep running it occasionally.4. If all else fails

Thanks Richard; I have done all of what you mentioned.Windows 98 will not recognize more than 512MB RamThanksMike NeonesFavorite area to Fly--Alaska!

You may also have what I call a scenery "index" problem. Have you added anything to FS2002 after your reinstall? Or is it a clean, no frills installation? Try this--backup your FS2002.cfg, then simply delete it. See if it still freezes...If so, then try to manually edit FS2002.cfg so it points to a different default flight.... See if it still freezes..If so, then do a find and delete on all files labled "scenery.dat" in the FS2002 folder structure. You might also have to extend this to the INDEX files--different names, but they all contain the name INDEX, and they only exist in the main FS2002 folder. The next time FS starts, it will rebuild the indexes as if it's doing a new install. That might fix a corrupted index for you...-JohnI almost forgot to add--, since your HD is only 13 gigs, check your free space. Anything under 100 megs is cause for concern...

I finally got FS2002 to start up by changing my monitor, video card and new drivers ( Nvidia GEforce 2 400/mx) Now the problem is after a few minutes of flyong with default cessna, and change views from 2d panel to spot view, etc it freezes up my system and I have to reboot. CTL ALt Delete does not help. It does not freeze up when I uncheck the box that says..um..use hardware exceleration..or whatever..it says.Any ideas?ThanksFavorite area to Fly--Alaska!

I think I now know what's going on. A suggestion--try turning off AGP texture acceleration in DirectX. Your machine is a P3/450.... Due to make and cpu speed alone, it's almost certain that your motherboard isn't up to AGP 2.0 spec (it may still support AGP 2x however, as that is something different). Motherboards that don't meet this spec sometimes have trouble regulating voltage to the AGP slot, which in turn can cause problems with Nvidia cards. Also, if your system has many other peripherals, your power supply may not be up to the task. If you have only a CD-ROM and a hard drive, then you can slide by with 250W (I do). But if you also have a CD-RW, or a DVD, or some USB periphs, you may be overtaxing your power supply.Also, did the machine have onboard video, in addition to your current video card? If so, how did you go about disabling its driver?But first, try the suggestion above. See if that stabilizes FS2002. Your unlikely to see a performance hit, unless you run with everything maxed out...Let us know what happens...-John

Guest Richard_H

The power supply solution is one that I have not explored. I have a 250W supply too. Without going out and buying a new one, how can we find out if it is over-worked? Is there a tool out there that does the job?Thanks