Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JETSET843D

B747-400X and Vista - Your Opinions/Experience/Problems

Hello there, I've read that PMDG do not recommend Windows Vista with the recent 744X.I have recently purchased a new system and sadly Vista now comes as standard as the computer retailer strongly discouraged Windows XP.I had the 747 for FS9 and loved it, I know it is strongly endorsed by a lot of 747 line pilots. My question to the community is anyone using Vista 32 with the 747 and recieving satifactory results?Also if you are using Vista please post your opinions here:-)Regards,James

There are a couple members on our team who have tried Vista and the 747 and report satisfactory results. This is more evident particularly with the ATI 2900 video card family.On my rig, though, with a quad 6600, 4GB RAM and an NVidia 8800GTS (640MB), I see much better results with XP than with Vista.

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest csandel

I was about to purchase the product when I discovered that it is not supported for Vista: I feel very frustrated after the long months of anticipation! To me it's a big surprise since *as you say* most PCs are bundled with Vista nowadays. I have no problems running FSX on a Vista laptop with 2G of RAM, a GeForce GTX7950 set to 1900x1200 with excellent FPS, but the PMDG FAQ is so alarming that I will wait and see, I don't want to waste 60 euros. :(Regards,Chris

Chris-I don't think you've read anything that says "not supported for Vista". We were very careful to set user expectations though so you will understand that performance on Vista is not on par with performance on XP SP2, especially for NVidia 8xxx series owners.My own laptop is running Vista with the same configuration as yours but user experience may vary, so please understand this and keep it in mind when making your decisions.

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Hi Lefteris,Did the PMDG team also test with /3Gb flag set both in BCDEDIT and on fsx.exe.Did you see any improvement about OOM?***************************************************************as a reminder for others in vista.BCDEDIT /set {current} increasuserva 2900 to increase your virtual adress space to 3gb instead of 2 (try 2500 instead of 2900 if you have a 8800GTX with 768mb)ANDFlag FSX.exe to be /LARGEADDRESSAWARE using a program called CFF.EXE available on Softpedia.I don't remember the exact manipluation but it is just a question of checking a flag.For people interested,I will try to post the details with screenshots when I return home.RegrdsYvesPS: FSX.exe in acceleration is LARGEADRESSAWARE in Acceleration pack so in that case just do the BCDEDIT command.Don't forget to apply KB940105 patch which helps a lot with OOM.

Yes, we did test with the 3GB fix in Vista. It makes things much better, but it's not a fix that we can say is "easy" for the average user, nor are we in a position to support the technical help required for each non-computer literate user who'd need this done to run FSX on their PC.As such, we leave that decision to the user instead.

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

>Yes, we did test with the 3GB fix in Vista. It makes things>much better, but it's not a fix that we can say is "easy" for>the average user, nor are we in a position to support the>technical help required for each non-computer literate user>who'd need this done to run FSX on their PC.>>As such, we leave that decision to the user instead.do you mind if I publish a little documentation?.I understand your point of view because it is not a PMDG issue but if it can help it doesn't hurt.Yves

Also, this /3GB fix is supposed to be embeded in the FSX SP2 update. I also did this fix for both the FSX and FS9 executables by hand as well.BTW, was much testing for the 744X done on FSX SP2?

Regards,
Al Jordan
------------
KMLB

Well I pleased to say, (or maybe lucky) that my B747-400X runs Great in Vista, I just purchased a new Gateway FX530 /Vista machine.I decided to give the 747-400X a try, well I have found no problems or OOM errors, I am getting 34-40 FPS on the ground and 45-50 in the air, now I only did a short flight from KBDL to KMCO for my test, but it seemed Ok.My video card is a Nvida 8600 GTS and my computer memory is 2 gig, I have also installed MS Accelerator, I do not have all of the FS settings max out.-Paul C

Thanks Paul for that very encouraging post.I think i'll purchase the 744X this evening and will report back on how she performs on my Vista machine,RegardsJames

Guest csandel

Dear Lefteris,Thanks for your post, it's quite encouraging for Dell Laptop users and it is likely I will reconsider my decision in the near future ;)Still, in the "Users Requirement" tab of the 747 product page, only XP SP2 is mentionned for both minimum and best performance. I'm sure that you will not forsake your Vista customers, but to me one cannot say the Vista version is supported.Best regads,Chris Sandel

>do you mind if I publish a little documentation?.I understand>your point of view because it is not a PMDG issue but if it>can help it doesn't hurt.>>YvesSure - create a PMDG Ops article about it.Al,The /3GB switch is a two step process, the part of it for the application itself is already done in SP2, but the OS part of it, which involves editing your boot files is done manually by the user...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Oh yea, I forgot about the boot.ini side of it. Geeze, I gotta be slippin'.

Regards,
Al Jordan
------------
KMLB

Guest csandel

>Still, in the "Users Requirement" tab of the 747 product page,>only XP SP2 is mentionned for both minimum and best>performance. I'm glad to see the tab has just been updated: now let's get hold of this beauty :)Chris