Sign in to follow this  

Audigy/Projector

Hello:I tried posting this in the Hardware conference but with no luck. Any thoughts on using Audigy Platinum with FS2002? Any known problems? Am I better off using the Gigabyte motherboard 4.1 audio?Also anybody have any ideas about minimum specs for a projector capable of providing a decent 1024 image in darkness?Thanks

Sorry can't help you on the motherboard question although projectors are a speciality (or rather 70% of my job !!). If you are wanting to work in darkness then you have the choice of the whole of the market. ~8 years ago projectors were spitting out about 200 ANSI Lumens which was "just about Ok" in a darkened room, turn the lights on and you have had it. The quality models on the market these days start at about 800, which will give you a better picture AND let you turn the lights up a bit.Depending on your budget then a projector whose "native" resolution is 1024x768 is going to be the best shot - this is the actual resolution of the LCD panels in the unit. However, if you want to save cash then most of the current units that have 800x600 panels will also project a decent 1024x768 image - at least for Graphics & video the text quality can be poorer.If you are buying new then your really can't beat Epson / NEC - in Europe NEC offer a 3 year warranty as standard (not sure about other countries), Epson offer 2 years - and both sets of products are pretty reliable, whatever you do, however tempted you may be - under no circumstances purchase anything from Scandanavia (Davis or ASK) since you would quickly be on first name terms with the repair centre staff.A good source for specs & details on models is www.projectorcentral.com although they do have just about every model ever made listed.I hope that is helpful, if you want more specifics then send me an e-mail and I will see what I can do.

Excellent. Thanks for the detailed reply.

One more question:Is a 1024 image projected on a white plaster wall sufficient to showcase FS2002 eyecandy?As a matter of personal preference would you say a 21 inch monitor image at higher res is substancially preferable to the 1024 projected image?Thanks

A white wall should be nearly as good as using a screen as long as it is flat and not "textured", the worst thing to project onto is a reflective surface such as a "white board".I don't have enough room at home to even try a projector, but I do prefer running FS at a higher res than 1024 (although only 1280x1024 at the moment). If you are in a country with a well established AV industry then you should find that the non mail order companies may well be happy to let you bring your PC along and have a test run. If you are in the UK then drop me a line and I will see if I can help.I know for a fact that some military simulators use 3x 1024 projectors to produce the images (unfortunately I have not had a good enough excuse to go onto site to see this yet).Personally, if I had both the room and the money then I would want to see what the projector looks like - since I am a bit lazy and have neither I haven't bothered hooking my PC up to one !!!I would be interested to hear what you decide, if you do look and want to buy then let me know the model you are looking at and I will look into it to make sure you are not buying something you will regret. Again, if you are in the UK let me know !!!Regards,

Unfortunetly, I'm outside the UK. I'm with you: res greater than 1024 is great to showcase FS 2002, but I keep seeing all those home cockpit pics and I'm getting jelous. Will let you know if I decide to get a projector.Thanks again Gazz.