Sign in to follow this  
Flyer07

Engine Problem!!

Hello PMDG your 400x is really a queen and a dream!But I have mentioned a Problem! I want to simulate a cold and dark cockpit situation. Therefore I loaded the 400x cold and dark panel state. Everything is fine but I noticed that the Engines are still runing like before. So I switched them off!After setting up the OVHD Panel with your operating manual I started the engines. Now the EICAS display shows that N1 and so on is increasing but there was no sound of starting Engines. Immediately I switched outside ahead of the wing and there was NO engine running altough the EICAS reveals that they should run! Please help me I tried everything but it won't workI don't know how to make screenshots in FSX but if someone tell me I post a few pics about that problem-Mike-

Hi Mike,I'm having this problem too it's quite bizarre.. I load the dark and cold cockpit, but the engines keep running because the fuel cutoff switches are in the run position.. I thought this was just a tiny problem so I redid the flight deck for my prefered cold and dark state (like I did with the previous) and saved over the original. Starting up the sim was fine, and cold and dark was exactly as I expected. So I started my pre-flight checks and started programming the FMC etc.. I'm doing nothing out of the ordinary following the pre-flight to the letter.. I'm quite proficient with the 747-400 I've been flying it for years with no hassle..Anyway.. came to engine start.. I wasn't going to pushback so I set all the necessary pumps to on, etc.. Switched all my hyd pumps to auto.. As I didn't need to do anything special with the nose wheel.. I began to start my engines..I am using the Autostart, so it's fuel cutoff to RUN, then pull the starter and observe. In the cockpit everything went fine on the displays, duct pressure dropped, engines spooled up, at the usual 20% fuel flowed, then the engine started. However there were a few strange things I noticed.. First.. There was no peak for the temperature, it rose to 507 EGT and then just stopped dead.. All engines ran at 507 with no flicker.. I also usually check the Bleed on the engine I've started after it's settled. All bleed switches on the engines are still showing with low pressure.. I knew something was up somewhere.. Also on my upper EICAS I had these messages.. IRS L/C/R DC.. (can't remember the exact message).. Externally no engines were rotating and there was no engine noise..Ok.. so I decided to power up the APU again and go from there.. I disarmed the autostart system as I thought I'd try a manual start this time.. setup my panels.. checked the figures on the upper and lower EICAS panels.. once set pulled the starter.. and once I reached 23 or so N2 and hey presto they sprang into life... Everything ran absolutely fine at this point and there were no messages on the EICAS.. I think there might well be a problem with the Autostart..? But don't worry.. it's minor and won't stop you using the aircraft.. :) Just start manually..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest AJ

I have not tried a cold start myself yet, so the following is purely idle speculation, but here goes:Did you try this with different engine variants? This was not modelled on the FS9 version, but I believe that on the real aircraft, autostart is NOT available on RR-powered 744s. Could it be that PMDG modelled this on the 744X? That's exactly the kind of subtle detail I would expect PMDG them to throw in there. He he.Andrew

The engines on my 747 were GEs... The Virgin Atlantic model..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Same problem here guys.C&D loads with the engines running and everything goes out of sync from there.Also - duct pressure never seems to go above 28.Manual says if low duct pressure, turn off the opposite isolation.This actually drops the pressure from 28 to 27.Turning off the packs (just and idea of mine) decreases duct pressure as well.Once I turn off the engines via the cutoff switches, the engines won't spool up for start (no white light on started handles) until I switch the fuel cut-off's back on.Hmmmmmm This was on the 744F model.Strange.... I think something is out of sequence due to the engines running in C&D.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

Guest szaszgabor

Yeah, my problem is same... :(Another problems (please check it on your FSX):- if i'm modificating some setting in PMDG menu, the value isn't changing after "OK"- if i use "Autobrake", isn't apply after touch-down- Cold and dark settings isn't working, because, the engines are still running (if i shut down the engines, i couldn't restart it).Regards,Gabor

Guest szaszgabor

BTW, everybody use Windows Vista?For example, i'm using Vista 32 bit.Some problems (not possible to change setting is specific menu after OK)can be found on Level-D 767X.My feeling is: the source of problem is "dear" Vista.... :(

I don't think you guys have the same problem.. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do with the PACKS either?.. I simply see a problem with the autostart function.. everything else seems to behave properly for me.. and starting is fine so long as it is manual.. I'm also using XP not vista..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

In addition - after a successful engine start, a few minutes later I'm getting:IRS DC RightIRS DC CenterIRS DC Lefton the warning screen even though all electric gens and buses are functioning properly. Standby is in Auto as well. If I switch it to bat - the warnings temporarily go away.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog

>In addition - after a successful engine start, a few minutes>later I'm getting:>>IRS DC Right>IRS DC Center>IRS DC Left>>on the warning screen even though all electric gens and buses>are functioning properly. Standby is in Auto as well. If I>switch it to bat - the warnings temporarily go away.>>The switching to BAT will remove the warnings because you're changing the DC supply to the aircraft to the batteries. This supply is always on, so long as the batteries are charged. So, I'd say that isn't a bug at all, in fact it's as I would expect it.The problem is, using the AUTOSTART function seems to produce some strange results when starting the engines. It seems the EICAS shows engines running, but a lot of the other sub-systems are acting as though they are not.If you start the aircraft from a cold and dark configuration (check that the cutoff switches are set to cutoff) and use the manual start function you will find these problems are no there. How do you use the manual start function? Here is a quick reference for you...Assuming you've completed pre-flight properly.. you.. (done with GE engines)1 - Turn off AUTOSTART on the OVHD panel with the AUTOSTART button, to check this has been done AUTOSTART should appear in amber on the upper EICAS.2 - (I start 4 first).. Pull the starter for engine 4 and observe the increase in N2 on the lower EICAS.3 - Once the lower EICAS shows 20% N2 or higher, set the fuel control cuttoff switch for engine 4 to RUN.4 - Observe the FF (fuel flow) meter on the lower EICAS as it allows flow to the engine.5 - Observe the increase in EGT on the upper EICAS and increase in N1.6 - Monitor the start for hot starts, anything over 540 degrees and turn the fuel cutoff to cutoff to prevent damage.7 - The engine should peak, then stablise..8 - Once stable observe the white throttle marker (not the bar).. rise up indicating the start system has handed control of the engine throttle to you.Repeat for all other engines.. my sequence is normally.. 4... 3.. then 2 and 1 at once..I think you'll find, that following that process, all your problems will disappear.. It's an autostart issue I believe.. something funny is going on.. but.. it's not a show stopper..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest hench289

I am having the same problem everyone else is having with the engines running even when cold and dark setting is selected. The difference is i have no problem shutting them down with the cutoff switches then starting from a true cold and dark panel. Hopefully PMDG can fix the problem with the Cold and Dark startup. Kevin HencheyP.S. I am running vista 64-bit and it runs excellent, havent had any errors yet.

The IRS DC error keeps popping up.I don't think I have a procedure error with the flows.Something is preventing the IRS from connecting to the bus.2007-10-30_23-37-56-827.jpg2007-10-30_23-37-51-438.jpgIf anyone sees anything in my setup, please let me know...

Bob Donovan - KBOS

Bob try to switch the STBY Power selector before engine start from AUTO to OFF then to AUTO to BAT and finally back to AUTO! One off the PMDG crewmembers told us to do so and your IRS R/C/L should disappear-Mike-

Guest csandel

I'm on Vista and I have exactly the same problems as you:1) engines are still running when I start from a dark & cold situation (everything else is switched off, only the engines are running... weird)2) I simply cannot start the engines in AUTOSTART mode. I've followed the checklist thouroughly twice and I don't think I've missed somethingCheersChris

I actually had this resolved from a previous suggestion of setting infinite battery life in FSUIPC.I still have the problem of the C&D cockpit starting up with everything off except the cutoff switches and the engines.But this is somewhat solved by a saved panel state in true C&D.Thanks for the suggestion though...

Bob Donovan - KBOS