Sign in to follow this  
Guest nbb

Installation Problem -- "CreateFile failed" (747-400x/Vista)

Guest nbb

When installing 747-400x installing on Vista, I chose automatic but then it didn't find FS9 when trying to update and failed. So well, I followed the instructions and chose custom install without the update for FS9, it seems to install everything fine, but at the end it says "CreateFile failed. Contact PMDG Support".Anybody else had this problem (and did solve it?)?

Guest loftusj

Hi there,No - you are not alone. I'm having EXACTLY the same problem as you.Which is somewhat comforting as I now I know I'm not the only one, however, it doesn't help really does it?!I've tried a number of different installation attempts, however, I still end up with the "CreateFile failed" error ( I think this comes from the InstallShield application ). I am also ensuring that the installer is running with Admin privileges.The installer goes all the way to the end and then displays the error, then it rolls back and the installation effectively fails.I have engaged PMDG support on this and I have already had a quick response asking me to try the Complete install ( as opposed to the Custom install I was chosing ) but alas this does not seem to work either!So, having paid for a truly great product ( I am a long time fan of PMDG products ), I really share your frustration on this problem given that we can't install the thing!I expect an update from the support team within the next 48 hours as I have gone back to them saying that I still cannot install their product, so I will update you if I get anywhere on this.Equally - if you manage to solve this, please let me know!Cheers, James.

Gents-if under Vista, make *absolutely certain* that you're running the installer with administrator privileges ("Run As Administrator") or else you'll face all kinds of problems.

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest loftusj

Thanks for the update - but I am absolutely certain I am running the installer with admin privileges.James.

Guest nbb

Thanks, but it is the same with me. I am 100% SURE that I was excuting the installer with administrator privileges... any other idea?

Guys-we need further information on your setup, before we're able to assist on this particular issue. The error you're observing is most likely because our installer cannot locate your dll.xml, and your OS (Vista?) isn't letting our installer create it either.This usually (but not always) means that it's due to user permission errors so I suggest you disable UAC and reinstall your FSX... (ugh)

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest loftusj

Hi Guys,I have solved this problem!! I have also sent PMDG tech support a copy of this. If you are interested in what I did to solve this, read on - if you just want the solution scroll down to the paragraph entitled "Solution" :()In order to find out what the Installer was doing, I downloaded Microsoft Process Monitor ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...essmonitor.mspx ).I ran the installer and filtered on the following :- Process Name IS PMDG747_400_FSX.exeOperation IS CreateFileResult IS NOT Sucess This yielded the following trace entry when the "CreateFile" error dialog box was presented :- 1225212 17:57:58.5114694 PMDG747_400_FSX.exe 16020 CreateFile C:UsersRootAppDataRoamingMicrosoftFSXdll.xml PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a1225213 17:57:58.5116591 PMDG747_400_FSX.exe 16020 CreateFile C:UsersRootAppDataRoamingMicrosoftFSXdll.xml PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Generic Read/Write, Disposition: OverwriteIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0My Vista installation has the following users set up :-Username: Root Permissions: AdministratorUsername: James Permissions: Standard User The installer requires elevated permissions ( I understand the reason for this ), however, if you check the above trace entries, you'll see something rather interesting... the installer is making reference to a file named dll.xml, which is fine, apart from the fact that I was logged in as James and the installer is making reference to Root user directory and NOT mine ( James ). On examining the following directory "C:UsersRootAppDataRoamingMicrosoft" - I found no FSX subdirectory, so this was why the installer was failing. I had never run FSX under my admin user - as I only use that user for system maintenance ( as all good system programmers should! ). So, the root cause of this problem appears to be that the either the InstallShield application or the PMDG Install script is including the *effective user id* of the current install process, and not the *user ID of the currently logged in user* in it's reference to get access to the dll.xml file. Solution:In order to fix this, I logged in as my admin user ( Root in my case ) and ran FSX - this caused the C:UsersRootAppDataRoamingMicrosoftFSX directory and its associated files to be created.A re-run of the PMDG installer ( not forgetting to run it with elevated privileges ) was then successful.I have sugguested that PMDG either engage MacroVision support on this ( if it's a bug with InstallShield ) or make the appropriate changes to their install script to ensure the currently logged in user is used in the directory reference as opposed to the effective user ID - not all people will have run FSX under their Admin user, so I think this should be fixed and a patch issued.I also included a reference to this thread.Hope this helps!Cheers, James.

Guest loftusj

Oops,I forgot to mention that a copy of the "admin" FSX directory ( including all files and subfolders ) was also necessary to ensure that FSX with PMDG planes worked :-C:UsersRootAppDataRoamingMicrosoftFSXto C:UsersJamesAppDataRoamingMicrosoftFSXThis is because the installer only changed the Admin user's dll.xml file and not my normal user.Cheers, James.

James!Wanted to give you a public pat on the back for your research on this one!While this installer was tested on upwards of 30 different machines, not one of them was running Vista with User Access Control enabled while running the installer from a non administrator account.I did some surgical alterations and the new version we uploaded tonight contains quite a bit more robust capability as far as User Access Control is concerned.Thanks for your post- I was about 7hrs into researching this fix and you gave me an idea that eventually lead to a solution!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest loftusj

Hey Robert,No worries - it was my pleasure ( having worked in software technical support for the past 8 years it was just another problem to solve! ).Good job on getting the installer changed so quickly - I know you guys must be extremely busy.Cheers, James.

Guest nbb

With the new installer offered by PMDG everything worked fine!Thank you James giving them the necessary hints! You made my weekend!!!

Guest loftusj

Hey no problem - a solid team effort I'd say!Glad to hear you're all ready to rock & roll.Happy flying!Cheers, James.