Sign in to follow this  

Force Feedback - yes or no?

Hello all,since I have to buy a new Joystick for Fs2002 I wonder what you use to fly. Is Force Feedback a must have, or are there also good sticks without FF? What do you prefer and do you have a recommendation what I should buy?Thank you!Thomas

not Microsofts, it's the pitts! Most planes I have to turn it off.

My own view is don't go near it. Most force feedback sticks leave much to be desired and are much harder to fly properly with than their non-FF counterparts. My Logitech Wingman Digital 3D has done many, many happy miles. I gave the upgraded (?) FF stick away.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Just to be different, I have a Logitec Wingman FF and have been very very pleased with it :-)I've had it while now and it's never let me down, its self calibrating and adds just that little extra touch of realism with the bumps & thuds of flaps, gear, spoilers, or that heavy landing :-)Best RegardsPaul Manton

Hi Thomas,a must have not necessarily -- but the fun factor is high! :-)I second notnams opinion here, I am one of the more satisfied FF joystick owners. Of course it is to be discussed if precision and accuracy is as high as with their non-FF counterparts, but I am not that narrow-minded. Flying should be fun anyways.Actually on the contrary FF can help a lot when the FF implemetation is good. Imagine being in a tubulence and wind from 090 at 36... dont ever loosen your grip or it will jump off the table!!! I mean it .. :-) And with a FF stick you surely learn it the hard way what "good trimming" really means... becuase as in a real airplane the stick gives feedback!just my 2 cents,celticmatrix

Guest Eagle92395

I also highly enjoy my joystick...although a bit more when I'm playing Combat Flight Sim 2... I use Microsofts FF2 stick and I think it's excellent for that type of game. I have an older (4 yrs maybe) yoke and pedals...but I just use my Precision pedals with my FF2 stick and fly all over the place. The thud of landing gear and the crosswind landings are a blast with some feedback!

I would tend to avoid FF, I have had joysticks & wheels with FF and always ended up turning it off. There again if you get one that has it at least you have the option to try it !!!!

FF - for commercial aircraft simulator is not only not needed - it lowers the realism.Consider Cyborg 3D USB. This is a true left/right hand stick that will let you have stick in your left hand and throttle in the right - the correct configuarion for any left seat, commercial aircraft. I believe this is the ONLY stick on the market that let you do this (sad..).Michael J.

I tried it, didn't like it, and returned it.Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

I have a MS FF2, and I like it. It told me a lot about trimming and I have fun flying (and landing) with it.And, of course, I use it in other games: CFS is great when you feel the bullets hitting your plane, and in Need for Speed 3 it improves handling by 100%.As I said: I like it.Just my 2 cent.Danny

Paul, do you notice any performance hit with the forcefeedback enabled?Thanks,Robbie

RobbieNo performance hit at all, it is plugged in the USB port though, which I believe is preferential.Sorry for the time lag, just came in from work :-)Best RegardsPaul Manton