Sign in to follow this  

Repainting Question-Photoshop?

OK, Sort of a secondary post to the previous post asking if Photoshop was free LOL ;-))I'm very proficient with Photoshop and feel I could do some nice repaints of my own, but everytime I try to open the texture .bmp files it says Photoshop could not "Parse" the file or something like that.Is there a trick to opening up these files in Photoshop?Thanks!

Those BMP are in a DX format that can't be read by Photoshop.Open them up in ImageEdit (assuming you have FS2002 Pro) or one of the freeware DX reading programs available on the web. Save them out as a "normal" BMP and do your editing there. Then you go through the reverse process (bring them back in and reconvert them) so FS can use them.

Fred,Get DXTBMP from the AVSim Library. You can use it to convert the "special" BMP files Flight Simulator uses into standard images (and back again).--Tony

Kool, that's all there is to it?? ;-))Thank you Scabbo!

Thanks Mike, learn something new every day ;-))

OK well, I guess I have to ask again. First, where do I find this image program that comes with FS2002 Pro? I don't see it anywhere. Secondly on that file suggested that I download in the file library, I am unable to locate it doing an extended search?any other ideas?Thanks again for your help.

Guest sunstriker

Hey Fred tis on the CD!Sun

I installed the game from the CD, don't recall an option for an image program?Can I still install it if I find it on the CD? Or wont that just reinstall the entire game?

Hey take a look on your harddrive where you install your FS2002 FS2002gmaxflightsimgamepacksflightsimimagetool and you have your toolJan EHAM PS take a look here :http://avsim.com/hangar/flight/tutorials/tutorials.html

Awesome! thanks! now what do i do to open them in Photoshop? do I convert them in this FS2002 image program or something?Thanks a lot for your help, sure do appreciate it

Nevermind, I guess I would convert the DXT1 image to 8-bit, edit it in photoshop, then inport it back to imagetool (whatever it's called) in FS2002, then convert it back to DXT1 format?Kool! ;-)Thanks!

OK, I tried a quicky. Converted a DXT1 file over to 8-bit, changed the Registration number to mine, saved it, converted it back to DXT1 and all that shows up now is black?Oh well, i'm getting closer. ;-)

Forgot to delete the 8-bit file with a similar name out of the texture folder, now it works, kind of. I'll stop asking questions here though, I'm sure there is a better place to find out more info on repainting aircraft.thanks again!

Feel free to email me privately, Fred, with any questions. Also be aware that when you've created your own BMP and brought it back into the Imagetool you need to make your MIP maps (it will do this for you when you choose your option). If you don't do that you can get black images show up at certain distances.