Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

Question on Performance...

I plan on getting a nice new 8800 GTS (or ultra) card for X-mas (if my wife will let me ) but until then I was wondering if someone could point me in a direction to help my performance, just so I can enjoy this beautiful plane until then...Right now I get about 6-8 FPS with the 744X on the ground and about 15 in the air.The Default 737 gets 18 FPS on ground and about 20 in the air.Default Cessna gives me about 15-20 on the ground and 25-30 FPS in the air.I was wondering if this is on par with my system or if there is something I could do. I'm not a huge expert on tweaking hardware so there maybe something obviously easy I haven't done. I've also enabled the config file fixes listed in PMDG OPS.Here are my stats:Vista Home Prem. Intel Core2 2.4 ghz3 GB RAMNVIDIA 7900 GTX @ 1280x1024Creative SB XI-FIFSX AccelerationGraphic settings:Global Texture res: HighLens Flare offLight bloom offAdv. Anim. ontrilinear filtering anti-aliasing offHigh Res- 3D cockpit onAircraft Casts shadows on ground onAircraft casts shadows on self offlanding lights illuminate ground onLOD- MediumMesh Complex.- 58Mesh Res.- 10mTexture Rex - 5MWater Effects- Low 2.xScenery complexity- denseAutogen- normalground scenery shados- offspecial effects- highCloud draw distance- 110midetailed cloudsCoverage density- med(Mytraffic add-on installed)Airline traffic density - 14%GA- 14%Airport vehicles 0%road vehicles- 0%ships/ferries- 60%leisure boats- 66%Noah B.

Noah Bryant

Noah,First off - FSX is a CPU limited engine, getting a new video card isn't going to perform any magic for you as far as more FPS. It'll let you run in DX10 with Acceleration/SP2 though and will certainly be a lot better in other games that are GPU limited if you're into those.By far the best deal right now on cards is the new 8800GT. It is faster than the GTS and sometimes even the GTX and costs only $220-250 depending on the model you get:Check out this review:http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html...W50aHVzaWFzdA==Regarding your current situation, I get very low frames myself with my 7 series in Vista, especially in Windowed mode. Try running full screen and see what happens.If all else fails, I'd consider setting up a dual boot with XP. I run at much higher settings than you've got here with an older machine and I see higher frames - 15 or so in the VC and 20-30 in the air. One thing I do see though is the 2.x water - we've found that's a big performance hit. Try High 1.x - I personally think that actually looks better anyways.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Great (fast) response Ryan, I'll look at itThanks!Noah B.

Noah Bryant

Someone willing to post in the PMDG Ops area a "How to" on setting up a "Dual Boot" in Windows XP or steer me and others in the right direction where we could find one to do so. Thanks,Ken

>Ken,>>Do you have XP installed currently or Vista. It's much harder>to do if you have Vista first...Ryan, I have Windows XP SP2 installed.Thanks,Ken