Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

That pesky "Nav invalid" message again.......

Guest cliffie1931

I thought I'd licked the "Nav invalid" problem but, it appears, not quite yet.Here's the scenario. Inbound for Cape Town's Runway 19 in the new 747. About 17 miles out with the LOC light alive.The LEGS page shows no discontinuity.The NAV RADIO page shows "ILS-MLS 109.10/189 Park" and the FSX map confirms 109.10 for Runway 19However I have the "Nav invalid" message. And that, of course, explains why the APP light remains dead.Am I missing something here?Cliff

One more piece of info would make it easier to help: Cape Town ICAO?

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931

It's FACT, Dan. And thanks for replying.Cliff

I can't help much... I compared your info (FACT ILS19 109.10/189) with my current navdata and it matches. You've verified that the approach fixes on on the LEGS page and the approach terminates at RNW19. I don't have a clue. Sorry.By any chance do you have the PMDG 737NG?

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931

Yup, Dan, I did. However when I changed from Windows XP/FS9 to Vista/FSX I started from scratch and eliminated FS9.May I say how much I appreciate your guidance? My wife is away from Spain visiting her sister and I therefore currently have precious time to attempt to get to grips learning how to navigate the FMC of the new 747.If it's not too much of a bore I'd like to ask your advice occasionally.First however I want to try and battle my problems out as much as I can.With my regards,Cliff

Guest cliffie1931

Dan here's my problem in a nutshell. I've tried to summarise it as succinctly as I can.Let me take an example of a flight from KLAX to KSFO.I get the following Plan from RouteFinder:http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/KLAXRZSPEGRSZONALBSRKSFOAt the bottom of the page the Plan is shown as KLAX SID J501 BSR STAR KSFOAfter some while in flight I

Use Flightaware to get the actual route being used today: http://flightaware.com/statistics/ifr-route/ which is VTU5 RZS J501 BSR BSR2. In fact, a JAL744/Q just flew it at FL280. VTU5 is the Ventura Five Departure, BSR2 is the Big Sur Two arrival that only routes traffic to rnws 28L/R.Enter Origin (KLAX), Destination (KSFO), then go to DEPARR page and select KLAX departure VTU5 with the RZS transition for whatever runwy (you have to select a runway).Go to RTE page 2, it should already show (via)VUT5 (to) RZS. Under (via) add J501 and the right side displays empty boxes. Put BSR in the empty boxes on the right side under (to).Now go back to the DEPARR page and select KSFO arrivals, select BSR2 and an approach, say ILS28L (you may not do this RW until checking ATIS and getting the approach to expect).Now you should review the route on pages 2 and 3 of RTE. It should something like this:VTU5 RZSJ501 BSRBSR2 (VECTORS)DIRECT OKDUEILS28L RW28LIf you get a copy of my SIDSTARS, you'll have an option to select NOATC for the VTU5 departure and BSR2.28L for the arrival and get routed from the end of dep rnw all the way to the ILS. These can be downloaded from the AVSIM FS2004-Flight Plans library (filename cycle_0711_sidstars.zip )Let me know if this works for you now.Edit: I just tried FACT ILS19 and it works okay, we just gotta get you up to speed with programming the FMC. Get more info on SIDSTARS here: http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/SIDSTARS

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931

It's the wee, small hours of a dark and cold morning and my faithful old Golden Retriever is lying at my feet.I woke wondering whether I'd find a reply (I did) and whether it would be detailed and as helpful as before. (It was) So on with the light, out of bed and down to the study.Reading your reply was like getting a present when you didn't know whether to expect it or not. Wonderful!I'll try to get to grips with your instructions without bothering you with questions until (and if) I've exhausted trying everything I can. Maybe it will take some time but I'm hoping it'll be worth it.Thanks Dan. Cliff

I'm glad you're getting there.. always willing to help a fellow Goldie owner. They don't mind the rediculous number of hours I spend with my hobby, as long as I take them out for a daily walk.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931

A tip for YOU this time.If you haven't already done so then read "Marley and me: my life and love with the world's worst dog" by John Grogan.You'll find a synopsis on the Amazon site. Enjoy!Later today I'm hoping work through your suggestions.1.So far I've downloaded cycle_0711_sidstars.zip2.I've visited both "Navdata" (and made a contribution)and "Planepath" but unfortunately both appear to have stopped offering updates. Cliff

I don't want to speak for Terry, but his planepath effort seems to have stalled when the FAA pulled the his source of data last month. I don't think he's given up but I haven't seen 0711 from him yet.I read Marley when it was released. A very special story for all dog lovers.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931

After dragging the text files from your "cycle_0711_sidstars.zip" into the PMDG SidStars folder I get a Vista message reading:"There is already a file with the same name in this location"There are three options but I'm not sure which to choose.1.Copy and replace.2.Don't copy.3. Copy but keep both files. (The files you copy will be renamed "KLAS(2).text"Cliff

I'll reword the readme to make this clearer, althought it is mentioned.Copy/Replace is the correct answer.Each airport is one .txt file, there's low risk by over-writing the exiting file because you can restore the original from the source.Happy contrails.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931

Hi Dan!I