Sign in to follow this  

I Can't Slow the Darned Thing Down!!!!

Guest Heather 636

We are working on the final stages of the new improved Grumman Duck.I have been doing some final polishing on the air and cfg files (after completely replacing the air file, was the wrong one)I have the shakiness smoothed out and she will lift off the water just fine, but now i can't slow it down!!I am using the original air file of Tom Schaad's which, as far as I can see, has all the correct speeds for the Duck.I have been tinkering with the cfg file until blue in the face and this bird is still flying too fast.The the engine and prop set at 2000 RPM and 22 manifold Pressure, this bird wnats to cruise at 160 knots!!Once again, I am at a dead-end and know not which way to turn.I have readjusted practically everything possible in the cfg file with no effect on level flying speed.Where, in the air file would I look to change a setting that would affect this?I would REALLY like to finalize these files so that I can get on to the final repaints and get this bird out to you guys. The panel will be finished in another day or so and the sounds are just about done I believe. We're VERY close, but I'm stuck on this speed thing.HELP!!!!Heather

Guest Ron Freimuth

>We are working on the final stages of the new improved >Grumman Duck. >>I have been doing some final polishing on the air and cfg >files (after completely replacing the air file, was the >wrong one) >>I have the shakiness smoothed out and she will lift off the >water just fine, but now i can't slow it down!! ..........>Heather Be SURE the wing area is set right in Aircraft.cfg. Normally, that is copied from the AIR file the first time it is run. Many other lines are added to a virgin aircraft.cfg file also. Also, check the 'Oswald Efficiency' near the wing area line. Lower values will increase Induced Drag, so one can slow faster at lower speeds. FS2K2 tends to make that value too low, 0.80 is typical. But, I left the value at 0.72 for an AC with a stubby wing. There is also the set of lines below in most aircraft.cfg files. If that block of lines isn't in your aircraft.cfg you can paste it in from this set:(flight_tuning) //Square bracketscruise_lift_scalar = 1.0parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0induced_drag_scalar = 1.0elevator_effectiveness = 1.0aileron_effectiveness = 1.0rudder_effectiveness = 1.0pitch_stability = 1.0roll_stability = 1.0yaw_stability = 1.0elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0 The "parasite_drag_scalar" line can be increased to say 1.20 to increase drag and lower speed. The "parasite_drag_scalar" should probably be left at 1.0 since FS2K2 calculates a reasonable value, regardless of what is set in the AIR file. Other than for adjusting that "Oswald Efficiency". If the AC glides about right after cutting the fuel flow to the engines it would suggest the engines produce too much thrust at zero throttle. If an AC glides with much less than 1000 ft/min drop at twice the stall speed it probably has excessively low drags. Unless it is a glider. ;) There are lots of things that affect performance and poor AIR files can't be fixed in aircraft.cfg. I've found that most FS2K AC perform essentially the same in FS2K2 when correctly imported. Except the LG may have to be readjusted to work well. Ron

Guest Heather 636

Thanks Ron!This sure gives me a lot more ammunition to work with. It's a real booger going in and trying to work with something when you don't have a clue what half the values do.Going to save your info to a text file and paste it next to the screen.Wish me luck!Thanks!Heather

Guest Heather 636

That did it!!Hooray!!!!I've been battling these settings all day.Between you, Ron, and Lizardo, I owe you guys a big kiss!!The most difficult part is behind me now. A few other little things to tweak and that's it. A repaint, the new panel(s), a few other little things and she'll be uploaded soon (after beta testing, don't want to throw you all a buggy airplane).Thanks!!HeatherThe propeller is there to keep the pilot cool. Think not? Watch how much he sweats when it stops unexpectedly. ;)http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/...oah42/SCRN7.JPG

Guest Ron Freimuth

>That did it!! >Hooray!!!! Good. The MS info, even in the SDK, only says that 'some settings may not have an effect'. Fortunately, I had some idea of what had better work, and gave you the more basic things to adjust. Ron

FYI -- Good reading and information on the topic of flight dynamics. Dated back to FS98, but the rules of physics haven't changed."Flight Dynamics for Microsoft Flight Simulator", written by Tom Goodrick.http://www.flightsimdownloads.com/pub/FlightDynamics.pdfand if that doesn't do it, the link can be found here:http://www.flightsimdownloads.com/catalog/s372.htmScroll 1/2 down and find the download link in the yellow box.BobThe CURRENT WEATHER at my home. (12.9 Miles ESE of KPIA)http://www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/images/DS.p3...klot/latest.gif