Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Landing Procedure Question for 736/737

I have been flying the 736-37 for a few years on and off. After always using the auto pilot to flying the final ILS approach, I have gotten bored of just sitting there and letting it fly all the way down. So, the other night I took the 737 up for a some ILS approaches to hand fly. I started off by just using the AP maintain the localizer and airspeed while I controled the glide slope. The questions is, when I get to around the last mile or so, should I manually disconnect the auto throttle and CMD A button for the auto pilot, or leave the auto throttle on? When I land and start to take off again for another go around while the tires are on the ground I get an annoing beeping sound until the gear comes off the ground. I noticed that if I hit Shift+Z then it disconnects the auto pilot from the Auto Pilot Disengage bar. I guess in a nut shell I just want to know what order I need to turn off the auto pilots and auto throttle switch to hand fly the last mile or so and keep the annoying beeping sound off when I start my go around. Thanks in advance.Regards,Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sean, this is what I do on a approach into any airport that I'm shooting the visual into...Within 5 miles (or below 4K) I disengage the a/p except for the a/t's. I will usually use the auto throttles up to a 3 mile final and then i disengage those as well. As for the annoying beeping sound, that is probably a master alarm for takeoff config. If your doing touch and go's you should be disengaging the a/t no later then a 1 mile final.Regards,Shawn

"I guess in a nut shell I just want to know what order I need to turn off the auto pilots and auto throttle switch to hand fly the last mile or so and keep the annoying beeping sound off when I start my go around."The warning is probably a configuration warning. Either you forgot to stow your spoilers (although they should stow automatically with advanced thrust), set your flaps for takeoff or your stab trim is incorrectly set.Cheers.Q>

Thanks Shawn and Q. I will give it a shot later. When doing touch and go's I usually don't arm the spoilers, it's probably due to trim settings or the fact that I am trying to take off again while the flaps are still at 25 or 30. I think it's probably best for me to leave the a/t on to help me maintain the correct speed. Thanks again.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator