Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kiwi7572

Long Haul Flights 747-400 & -400F

Guest Kiwi7572

Last weekend we did 2 longhaul flights using the 747-400 Pax version,the route was KLAX-YSSY & YSSY-FACTWe were using Active Sky....and with the headwinds we just were not going to make it with our onboard fuel....we used the Load Manager and reduced the payload....and had max fuel on departure at both airports....we are talking 14-16 hours and the distance is within the range...but the time in the air is the problem....is there any way you can fly these sort of hours with the PMDG 747s???? LR cruise better altitudes....better fuel management....just interested.I know they do it in the real world...well LAX-SYD anyway.thanks & regardsBrian HowardAuckland New Zealand

I've never had the time to try this sort of flight, but I imagine you've already tried:(1) using LRC (Long Range Cruise) (selectable from the VNAV CRS page in the FMC);(2) setting a low cost index in PERF INIT REF; (3) using step climb; and(4) de-rating takeoff and climb thrust?Tim

Guest Kiwi7572

Thanks Tim...just done CYVR-SBGL 14.77hrs Gate to Gate arrived with 13% (low fuel light came on during the ILS RWY 28)not a lot of wind to contend with on-route....will try what you recommend on the return flight..and see if I can improve the fuel useage.Brian.

Note also that real world aircraft flying the same routes you mention also have the same problems. Before Qantas got their B744ERs, the LAX to MEL flights were often restrictive. Restricted enough that occationally either a stop at Nadi or Brisbane would be needed. Meanwhile, the Sydney to Joburg flights would proceed without a stop if winds were favourable, but a fuel stop at Perth was needed it winds dictated otherwise.You should find the various fuel planners that are available from the avsim library for the pmdg 747. After entering your flight's data (including winds predicted enroute) a fuel load plan is generated. I think this will help you a lot.Subs

I have just seen it said elsewhere that de-rating the climb thrust reduces engine wear but can actually INCREASE fuel consumption by delaying the aeroplane's arrival at optimum altitude: no doubt you'll experiment.Tim

Guest Kiwi7572

Thanks Subs....Qantas ordered the -400ER which were fitted with fuel tanks manufactured by Marshell Aerospace and placed in the foward cargo hold...the std -400 max fuel is 57,285USG and the -400ER 63,705usg....will check out the fuel plannersBrian.