Sign in to follow this  
DAD

CTD due to PMDGsounds.dll after FSX Accelaration

Hi, had the PMDG 747 FSX running under WinXP without problems but now I get suddenly 'critical error' messages with CTD while loading FSX: When I start FSX a message pops up that FSX encountered an error due to the pmdgsounds.dll file and asks my whether I want to disable this file to be loaded. When I agree FSX starts and I can even run the 747, when I disagree FSX crashes again to desktop.Only hint: I recently installed the Acceleration package since I receive these errors. I did a clean installation from scratch of FSX, then Acceleration and then the PMDG (latest update as of 11/3) and realized a PMDG installer message that the PMDG FSX has not been tested with FSX SP2/Acceleration. May this be the culprit? The dll.xml seems not to be affected since there are no addons except the PMDG 747X registered. Also, I tried to 'heal' a possible dll.xml corruption by pasting the information given on the PMDG OPS in a brand new empty dll.xml - without success. Still the pmdgsound.dll keeps crashing FSX... ThanksPhilC2D6400, 2GB RAM, GeForce900, 2x 250 GB SATA, MSI motherboard, WinXP SP2, FSX with Acceleration (SP2)

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Update: tried it yesterday again and it worked. Well, I do not really know why. As a matter of fact I a) disabled the virus scanner (Avira personal edition) and :( I did attach some speaker.So, the error MAY have been caused by the virus scanner since I read here somewhere that there are some false alarms caused by some of the PMDG files though I did not get a alarm message OR the error MAY have been caused - though it sounds sort of strange - by not having installed/attached some speakers before. Again, this may be completely off topic but actually I only use USB headphones and I wonder whether the PMDGsounds.dll (being obviously responsible for audible tasks?) reports an error if there are no speakers attached.Maybe this helps someone, I will try to do some more testing as soon as I find more time and try to reproduce the error.

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

well. still works. even with virus scanner enabled. but yes, it seems to be the missing speakers. if my USB speakers are not connected then FSX crashes with the error in PMDGsound.dll and this does not happen if the speakers are connected and thus available as sound output device...just in case, maybe for your FAQ

Phil Leaven

Phil-Thanks for coming back and letting us know that you solved the problem AND what you found the solution to be.Reading your experience does help us- as inevitably someone will appear here with a similar problem- and we can benefit as much from your shared experience as that new guy will benefit from ours.So it "sounds" like you got it all sorted out. That is good to "hear." :-p

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

yes, stills works with external speakers attached. I just wondered whether I am the only one or why your module requires speakers attached, shouldn't it run w/o speakers, too? anyway, up to you but worthwhile to mention in your documentation and/or FAQ anyway...Great product, btw. Bought almost everything you guys provided since the 737NG...

Phil Leaven

Guest bjablonka

I have exactly the same problem and have speakers attached. I am also running Acceleration and did not have that problem before Acceleration. Any ideas?ThanksBernd

Guest WesFlight

Just to let everyone know, there is a method to the madness behind your computer having to have speakers plugged in, in order for the 747, and any other add-on for that matter, to work.I myself was having problems with the PMDG 747, and the Flight 1 Super 80. I did everything possible to figure out why both AC kept crashing. After much deliberation, I decided to not look at the add-ons themselves, but to look at Windows Vista. It turned out that Windows Vista disables drivers that are not in use. Unlike older operating systems, Windows Vista knows if you have speakers plugged in or not. By disabling the driver, Windows Vista allows more CPU power to be used elsewhere. I do not use speakers on my computer. I absolutely love plugging in a pair of headphones. (It is more realistic to me to fly with headphones.) Therefore, my add-on aircraft were crashing when my headphones were not plugged in. Simple solution, plug them in. If anyone would like to test this, simply open your sound drivers in device manager, unplug your speaker source and watch the driver become disabled. Then plug in back in and watch it become enabled. I must say, this is no fault of any developer for this occurrence. PMDG and other developers expect you to use sound when using there product, thus, when no sound is enabled (because there is no speaker source on your computer) the PMDG and other aircraft will not load properly, thus causing a CTD. If I am not mistaking, in order for the panel to work properly in the 747, the sounds.dll file must work or you wouldn

Guest WesFlight

I too use Acceleration and have yet to have a problem. Out of curiosity, when you first loaded the PMDG 747 for the first time and the "Run Third-Party Window Pop Up" appeared, did you say "Yes" to allow the PMDGsounds.dll to load and run? If not, this may cause the AC to keep crashing. Also, did you make sure your sound properly works. If you are running Vista, you have to have working sound in order for the AC to load. Also, is your AC crashing because of the PMDGsounds.dll file or is there another error?

Guest bjablonka

Thanks Wes, but the 747 is the only add-on which gives me an error message. My speakers are plugged in. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the plane several times, but I still get the same error. Bernd

Guest bjablonka

Could someone from PMDG please answer?Thank you!Bernd

Guest bjablonka

Anyone has any ideas?