Sign in to follow this  
Guest russell

Direct (serial) connection question for multiplayer/ins

Does anybody know how you set up the Instructor Station with a Direct (serial) Connection? I am trying to connect my laptop to my desktop with the laptop as the Instructor Station. I followed all help file instructions, but I do not have the choice of a serial or a modem protocol in MSFS2K2 "Multiplayer Connect" window. (Although the help file says that they are supposed to be on the list.) Only TCP/IP and IPX protocols are available on the menu. Both computers are connected through a serial cable and with the "Direct Cable Connection" setup program inC:WINDOWSStart MenuProgramsAccessoriesCommunicationson both computers completed. Both computer are handshaking properly and talking to each other. The hardrive on the desktop is setup for full sharing.Other problem:What can you do to prevent both computers from loosing each other in a MSFS2K2 Multiplayer/Instructor Station setup with an Internet Dialup connection (~48Kbs)? The laptop drops from the session about every minute (internet connection is not interrupted on either computer when the Instructor Station drop occurs).TIAOnno Bulk

You would probably be better off buying a NIC card for the Expansion Slots if you don't already have a built in NIC. You would also need a NIC for your desktop.

Guest russell

Microsoft dropped support for direct serial connection, either in FS2002 or FS2000, I can't remember which. So you'll have to install either TCP/IP or IPX on both machines, and then connect with a network cable and two network cards. Easiest way is to just buy a "crossover" ethernet cable and connect directly from one computer's network card to the other computer's network card. If you have more than two computers, use a hub and "straight through" cables. (sorry if you know all this already)Not sure why you're getting disconnected in instructor mode over the internet, sorry.Russell Gilbert (OzzieYank online)

If they have dropped the support, then why are they talking about how to set it up in the HELP files of FS2K2, with specific instructions to select the "Direct Connection" protocol in the Multiplayer window? ???Onno Bulk

Guest russell

Good question. The consensus around here seems to be that they forgot to remove it from the help files. I don't know why they dropped it though.Russell

If it existed in FS2K, then perhaps it is possible to copy the specific file from it. A wild guess: I think that it is the multiplayer.dll and/or the instructor.dll file(s). Or do you have any suggestions? And if so do you by any chance have these files? (I do not own FS2K.)Onno Bulk

Guest russell

I'm quite sure that won't work, because although the multiplayer packets are similar in both programs, a lot of new packets were added for FS2002.Russell