Sign in to follow this  
lefteris

PMDG OS & App Detect utility (FSX only)

Gents-For our new FSX products, I've written a small utility that helps detect Operating System and PMDG product versions and outputs those to a log file that we may ask you to send us as a text attachment. This will help with automating the support process a bit further.Also, under Vista, this utility will force write permissions on the PMDG folder and its subfolders for those of you who are experiencing the "can't save my Load Manager or Options selection settings" issue.USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - while I've tested it on a couple machines here, I can't say it's been put through any sort of rigorous beta testing. It should not harm your files in any way, but please don't hold me responsible if it fries your cat in the microwave oven.You can find this utility [a href=http://www.precisionmanuals.com/file_library/misc/PMDG_OSAppDetect.zip]here[/a].

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Small note for those who're having crash issues with their 747-400X on Windows XP at the time the PMDG_747400_Main.DLL is loaded:PLEASE use the utility to check what SimConnect.DLL version you're running. If the utility reports that you're running the "FSX Original" rather than the FSX SP1 version, you have a problem with SimConnect.DLL having failed to install properly.For those who are running FSX Deluxe, there's a solution:Install SDK SP1a (you'll find it on www.fsinsider.com) which will go and install SimConnect.DLL for SP1. Verify again with the PMDG utility.Let us know if that helps!

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Good morning LefterisThe installation of FSX SDK SP1a doesn't change the SimConnect version in my case.That what I did:- uninstalled 747-400X- deleted all remaining PMDG-files- deleted trust section of cfg.fsx file- downloaded FSX SDK SP 1a- Installed first FSX SDK from disk 1 (it

Marcel-inside your SDKCore Utilities KitSimConnect SDK folder, there's a subfolder called Legacy Interfaces. In there, you'll find FSX-SP1 which contains a SimConnect.msi file.Run this and see if it installs properly.

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Hello LefterisThanks, but that's intsall SimConnect v10.0.60905.0. That's the same as before.Result: SimConnect Version:-------------------10.0.60905.0 (FSX Original Version)RegardsMarcel

Marcel-I was very specific: Install FSX-SP1 SimConnect.MSI. That's NOT 60905. If there's an issue doing that, you'll need to contact ACES for further assistance.

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Marcel-It's not a strange answer. It's a clear answer. You're saying that you've installed FSX SP1. We will take your word for that, yet our utility clearly shows you that the FSX SP1 SimConnect.DLL is not properly installed in your computer.Yes, you purchased the 747-400X from PMDG. Yes, we provide support for OUR product. Is proper installation of the correct version of SimConnect.DLL something that WE need to provide support for?We try to help everyone equally. We need to draw the line on what we support though - we don't have the resources (even though we have the willingness sometimes to go above and beyond the call of duty) to provide support for other products. Proper installation of SP1 SimConnect.DLL in my opinion falls outside, way outside of our support obligation towards you. Yet, you choose to berate us for even trying to help you there...

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

LefterisBut today we're talking about FSX SDK SP 1a and not FSX SP1. FSX SP1 since several month I intslled it. Today I installed FSX SDK SP 1a. And you answer to install it from the folder you talking about it, didn't change the version of SimConnect.Reagrds Marcel

Marcel-my question to you went unanswered: Do you expect PMDG to provide you with support on possible reasons why your FSX SP1 SimConnect.DLL cannot be installed? We can try... and we certainly are trying, but we don't expect you to depend on PMDG for that sort of support. You need to try other avenues to figure that part out, as it falls outside the main scope of PMDG providing support for its own product.

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

LefterisYou have to understand once is enough spend hours and hours trying to run this bird.Marcel

Marcel-You prove my point: My question went unanswered - again. If you still feel you wish to receive our help, we'll be happy to provide it through our support line. Contact PMDG there and we might find a way to assist you. No promises though - this is not a PMDG support issue, apparently.

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

LefterisI answered you because you wrote in your post to let you know if it helps. I'm dayli in contact with Paul from the support line.RegardsMarcel

Don`t hit me, I`m very fragile......If the computer in use is using Vista...... Try selecting the file Lefteris indicates (just click once), then right click the mouse and select properties from the resulting menu. Select the compatibility tab, place a tick in 'Run this program as an Administrator', ok it and try it once more.....If it fails or you`re running XP then I`ll just go back to selling used cars ;-) Reider

Guest fyrestrtr

I just have one question -- how did you force the write permissions? I need to do this for some other (non FS) related programs and would really appreciate a link to a FAQ or MSDN KB# :)