Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ted_Pan

What OS should I use?

Guest Ted_Pan

I put this question to all experienced users...I am considering installing WinXP on my new system.I currently have Vista - it works well enough in FS9 and everything else... It will always run for days if I let it!FSX is another story...Always crashes to desktop... in minutes - never fails to disappointOOM errors or nothing stated.I can use some default aircraft without issues. not always, and never will it go on for any extended period of time.My question is;If I install/use WinXP will the issues associated with Vista go away?I am sick and tired of trying to find some fix... I have applied the Virtual memory stuff.. and all that stuff... ultimately... same things occur.Regards,Ted Panamarioff - Kodiak, AlaskaCore 2 Duo E64004Gigs RAMnVidia GTS8800 - 640 mb VRAM

Hi TedI read your post and thought about your problem, but as I have neither Vista nor fsx, I cannot offer any solution from good practice. I have thought about your problem as an experienced user of pc's and flight simming, and thought that your machine spec is quite high so maybe there is scope for making a new partition on your hard drive and making your machine a dual boot so you have the choice of xp or vista at boot up stage. I say this because if your machine is new and packaged with vista and you remove it to make way for xp then maybe you would lose some functions in say "non destructive" recovery that new systems seem to have built in as you dont always get full recovery disks with new machines in the uk. So this is just an idea and maybe other folks on here could chip in if they have done this and offer better advice. I have never done this so I would wait for better advice before you do it and maybe make matters worse.best regardsJohn Calleja (BAW 352 armchair pilot)

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

I have a problem only with the take off from the airport on the 747 and my 767 in FSX on Vista 32 bit. It very often just loses all thrust and falls to the ground. this only happens with both aircraft when using the FMC-any other time its normal. Frames are great and performance is outstanding for a 3800 Dual Core with 2 gig ram.I`ve tried flashing the bios, a different Mobo, a different joystick, you name it. I had heard the claims that XP was faster than Vista with FSX, I had XP anyway but prior to SP1. So, I decided to install it again. It didn`t fix the take off problems and the FPS was well down. I carried on for 24 hours and am now back in a newly formatted and installed Vista 32 bit. Its a bit ropey this time, but I`d rather sort that than go back to XP-it may work for some, not for me. Now, back to the take off problems, so exasperating, its ok the rest of the time.Reider

XP or Vista x64 would be my recommendation. I see better performance in XP with my new machine (Q6600, 4GB, 8800GT) but haven't seen any OOM etc with Vista x64.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Steve,This really sounds like joystick calibration somehow to me. The fact that it's doing it with both ours and the LDS plane across both XP and Vista points to something in your hardware setup. It's very unlikely that mobo, RAM etc would cause such a specific issue though - I'd make absolutely sure your joystick isn't spiking and sending erroneous data etc...>I have a problem only with the take off from the airport on>the 747 and my 767 in FSX on Vista 32 bit. It very often just>loses all thrust and falls to the ground. this only happens>with both aircraft when using the FMC-any other time its>normal. Frames are great and performance is outstanding for a>3800 Dual Core with 2 gig ram.>>I`ve tried flashing the bios, a different Mobo, a different>joystick, you name it. I had heard the claims that XP was>faster than Vista with FSX, I had XP anyway but prior to SP1. >So, I decided to install it again. It didn`t fix the take off>problems and the FPS was well down. I carried on for 24 hours>and am now back in a newly formatted and installed Vista 32>bit. Its a bit ropey this time, but I`d rather sort that than>go back to XP-it may work for some, not for me. Now, back to>the take off problems, so exasperating, its ok the rest of the>time.>>Reider

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I had this same issue a while back. As mentioned, the problem did indeed stem from the input device (yoke in my case). Bizarrely though, when i unplugged it from one USB port, and used another, it solved it. Very strange.

All sorted now, usage of an internal USB port was causing problems on the external ports. One of the front (double) internal USB ports was ok, only the rear internal caused the fault. The front sound port system when plugged in internally causes the rear sound port system to stop, you use one or the other. So this port may work the same way.Had a brilliant flight to LOWS-Salzburg, Austria in the 747 today. Such magnificent scenery too..... I think the Seychelles is on the cards soon too..... thanks all.Reider

Guest Ted_Pan

OK... Ryan,I guess Vista 64 would be the suggestion then?Since it would be an upgrade (?) as opposed to having to erase everything and start all over again...Regards,Ted Panamarioff - Kodiak, AlaskaCore 2 Duo E64004Gigs RAMnVidia GTS8800 - 640 mb VRAM