Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnWilkins82

Paint kit question

Guest JohnWilkins82

Hello PMDG I want to say first of all thank you for such an amazing aircraft. Good job! I am having trouble getting photoshop cs2 to save the 747400_fuse_layout template in dxt5 format. I have downloaded and installed the nvida plugin for photoshop. After I have cut and copied from the fuse_left psd file using the fuse_cut_template into the fuse_layout. I tried to save the file by selecting save as and then D3D/DDS under the format dropdown. Then I click save and I get an error stating

Sorry, John I've never run into that error message, I also use CS2. You do not save alpha layers with the fuse textures since FSX changes how alphas are handled. Save as DXT5.

Guest JohnWilkins82

Pete Thanks for the help! I had to rotate the image 180 deg and then flip it horizontally to get it to show up as it should. Just fyi. Off to paint the queen. Thanks againJohn W

Guest JohnWilkins82

Dear Pete, Sorry to keep coming back but I hit another snag. The landing and tail lights do not look right. Please see the attached screenshot. Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong? Thanks again John W

Guest JohnWilkins82

Dear Pete and Vin, I am confused about how you save the alpha channel. There is a Alpha channel checkbox on the Photoshop save menu but that generates an error messages about to many channels to export. I tried turning turning on the visibility of Alpha channel 1 on the channels tab (I am working with the PMDG_747_Externals file as it is faster to test changes with) but still get the all lit up tail. Below is the step by step of what I am doing. Click save as in PhotoshopSelect D3D/DDS as file formatUncheck Alpha channel checkboxClick saveIn the NVIDIA dds format v8.23 box select DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha Select 2D texture Select no MIP mapsClick saveCopy over network to fsx computerLoad FSXLoad PMDG 747Swear Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have attached screenshots of both save menus. Thanks again John W

Here's the save options you should be using;http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181437.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181438.jpgAs for alphas, I mis-spoke earlier. Alphas are saved in the DDS file for the left and right fuse textures and the external texture maps. You can open the DDS files in your installed livery folder and copy the alpha layers for the fuse and external maps and paste into the alpha layer of your DDS textures. These are saved as DXT5 files.Let me know how this all goes.

Guest JohnWilkins82

Pete That did it. I discovered that if you save the .dds textures first, then add the alpha and save it again, no error message. Thanks again for your help. John W

Great! Post a screen shot of your livery when you're done.

Guest Breaklight76

Hello all, I've also had a dabble at the paint kit, was looking forward to it.Reading this post did help, because the read me that comes with the paint kit doesnt tell you to flip the images 180 plu horizontally before u save them. (otherwise you get a wierd paint scheme!)Also the images of how to save the format (DXT5) was handy.Maybe an idea to update the readme?As for my creation, RNLAF T-264 Prins Bernhard, currently a KDC10 in active service, but now as a beautiful PMDG B744 ;)Still need to fiddle to perfection, but for thee most part she's doneBest Regards Geordie

Guest Knikolaes

I am sorry to drum up such an old issue, but I am missing something in this thread.I did download the plugins as well. I am using Photoshop CS3 Extended edition, yet I do not have a chance to save a texture in DXT5. The plugins are installed because I can save any other texture successfully, yet when i go to save one of the fuselage textures, I get the same error message as the original poster.It's kind of hard to save as a DXT5 when you do not even have a chance to select that option. I'd use DXT-BMP, but i already made that mistake once -- DXT-BMP cannot save files properly for FSX, as all of the textures come out solid black within FSX.So it's back to Photoshop CS3 . . . . STEP: Edit the texture as desires.STEP: Select FILE then SAVE ASSTEP: In the pulldown menu, there is only one DDS option available. It reads: "D3D/DDS (*.DDS)"STEP: Click SAVEThis is where I run into the jam. USUALLY the next step is the step where I select the DXT5 option (it's an NVidia window of some sort that pops up and gives me the type options), but I cannot get that far because I get the error the original poster has: "Too many channels to export (5)"I never added any channels. In fact all i did was add a couple of logos, a custom registration and the main color of the plane is solid. Simple enough.Nothing in this thread helped, except to let me know I am not alone in this. Any ideas? Maybe the answer was in the images that were posted by the replies, but those images are now broken.

I don't know if this will help you. But in messing around with a' Default Jet Ranger' template some one had made I ran into the same thing.The plugin' seems to be happy with everything up to the 'Alpha Channel' anything more than that and it won't export.So RGB,Red,Green,Blue and the Alpha are o-kay. But the one marked 'Gold Selection' had to be removed for it to export.So you may want to check these...I dont' own the 747 for FSX yet, but I'am trying to get a handle on the texturing process for FSX.Jeff

chris,After step 1 you must then perform a merge all layers. You will then be able to proceed with the rest of the DSS format save. Make sure you select No MIP maps in the MIP Map Generation option.Pete

>chris,>>After step 1 you must then perform a merge all layers. You>will then be able to proceed with the rest of the DSS format>save. Make sure you select No MIP maps in the MIP Map>Generation option.>>PeteI thought he said..."Too many channels to export (5)"?"Layer collapse should be/is automatic"...fsscr036dds.jpgHere's the pic' of the 'Channels'fsscr035channel.jpgJeff