Sign in to follow this  
veldthui

PMDG 747-400X Autobrake problem

You are one of many. Search the group and you will find many posts about this but not one saying how to fix it. I can get them to work about once in 50 flights but I don't know what I do different that makes them work.It is a real pain. I also use Wilco 737PIC and have no issues with the autobrake with that nor did I in the FS9 version of the 744 or the PMDG 737 series.John Veldthuishttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa475.png

Gents-I can't tell if there's something to "fix" as most of those users who report issues finally realize that their throttles are not calibrated such that they satisfy "throttle idle" for autobrakes to come on at landing.I wrote the code: It requires that all FOUR throttle levers are at less than 10% for the auto brakes to kick in.Can you PLEASE check that and make sure that your throttles are at IDLE when landing?Thanks!

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

>Gents->>I can't tell if there's something to "fix" as most of those>users who report issues finally realize that their throttles>are not calibrated such that they satisfy "throttle idle" for>autobrakes to come on at landing.>>I wrote the code: It requires that all FOUR throttle levers>are at less than 10% for the auto brakes to kick in.>>Can you PLEASE check that and make sure that your throttles>are at IDLE when landing?>>Thanks!Thanks lefteris,I can assure you that my throttles are calibrated.I even recalibrated yesterday with FSUIPC.All 4 engines shows 24.7 N2 at idle.I even pushed on F1 key and the N2 indication didn't move.The reversers deploy, spoilers also and they need also idle throttles if I am not wrong.I will test with another joystick (Saitek Aviator AV8R)and report if anything is different.With this joystick I don't need rudder pedals.In the code is there a kind of timeout to kick in.Maybe the idle regime comes to slowly because on the saitek X52 throttle,you can adjust the resistance of the throttle.(just making a guess here)@Veldthui: What is the brand of your joystick (Saitek, ch products),it could be interesting to know because most of the persons reporting this problem use advanced joystick with separate throttles and pedals.To conclude,lefeteris, I don't say there is a bug in your code.I know it is probably on my setup but I kindly ask your help for the benefit of everyone.Thnks in advance for your collaborationYves

Yves et al,To rule out joystick calibration error I would suggest you disconnect the joystick before landing to see what happens. Standard FS key assignment to disconnect joystick is CTRL+K if memory serves me right. Hope it helps,

I normally do it as a full autoland but close the throttle off anyway just before touchdown as the PFD says IDLE. I am pretty sure it is calibrated 100% as it shows the full range during calibration.I use a CH Products and use 1 lever for all 4 engines. In about 2 weeks my new Saitek should arrive and I will then have 1 per engine.My landing sequence is full autoland with auto-throttle on all the way to rollout. A few times I have disconnected the auto-throttle at about 1000ft to see if that makes a difference but does not seem to.John Veldthuishttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa475.png

Hi,I made further tests with another joystick.With the saitek aviator (with no rudder pedals,I use the built-in rudder controls of the joystick).With this joystick Autobrakes works perfectly.I retried with my X52 but this time without rudder pedals and it works also.One thing I have seen is that the autobrakes doesn't kick in when the main landing gear touches down but only when the nose wheel is down.It is not immediate,it takes 1 or 2 seconds.Maybe if you engage reversers before the autobrakes starts then it doesn't work.Most of the time,I engage reversers when the main landing gear touches down.I will focus on that on my next tests.Yves

Yves,Your problem could be the rudder pedals that have a to small (or no) deadzone! You know that the autobrakes kicking off as soon as you engage manual braking.You said that all works fine without rudder pedals, so try set the dead zone for your brake axis way larger (so that they not can interrupt the autobrakes and see it this works!I don't have any more ideas.With my FS9/B744F/CH Yoke/Saitek rudder pedals/CH Throttle quadrant all works fine.Hope this helps.

Hi all,Thanks to the people that took time to help.For me, It doesn't work with a Saitek X52 combined to Saitek rudder pedals.To the devs:One thing is sure, it is not a calibration problem.I DON'T HAVE THIS problem with the coolsky MD 80 and the Level-d 767.How can you explain that to me?,is there a difference in the autobraking system of a 767 and a 747.Can you please look thoroughly at your code what can be causing this.You are the most-well placed person to help.If someone in the community can have this plane working perfectly with the same hardware as me I would be grateful if you can post your calibration settings in FSX (just in case)I think I am defintely stuck now.RegardsYves

>I think I am defintely stuck now.Me too. Exact same hardware but using FS9 and FS9 version of the 747 and it works 100% of the time.With the 74X it work about 1% if I am lucky. With the FeelThere 737's I have installed it works 100% of the time as well. Just the 74X it wont work with properly.John Veldthuishttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa475.png

Yves-since you've localized the problem to your rudder pedals, can you check if you can set a bigger null zone for the brakes on your pedals?

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

>Yves->>since you've localized the problem to your rudder pedals, can>you check if you can set a bigger null zone for the brakes on>your pedals?Hi Lefteris,I checked every setting possible on the rudder pedals.It just doesn't want to work.I cannot understand why?I must resign myself now to use only the X52 joystick with the PMDG747X.Every aircraft that has autobrakes is working perfectly with my hardware,your plane is the only exception to the rule.I would be more than happy to be wrong, if someone with the EXACT kind of hardware can show me that it works but for the moment,the only conclusion is that PMDG747X is not working as described with the combination Saitek X52 + Saitek Rudder pedals.(autobrakes never kicked in, don't confuse with autobrakes immediately disengaging which is not my problem,I have no yellow warning on EICAS before I push on the brakes myself)I will try to report that also on the saitek forum.Maybe I will have more clues there.Thanks for your help on this matter BTWYves

Thought I would chime into this discussion. Been a long time reader of the forums but have never posted. I don't see a lot of posts in regards to this autobrake problem. I've been a long term simmer and I've tried everything that has come to mind. I have the CH yoke and CH pedals and I'm experiencing the exact same issue. The autobrakes are armed (they do not disarm until I tap the toe brakes) however they never engage after touchdown (no brake indication on bottom left hand corner). I've also tried changing the null zone in FS settings however my brakes get applied and they don't come off unless null zone is down to nothing. I'm also open to suggestions. This is the only advanced plane I've ever had this issue, including the FS9 version of 747. Waiting for suggestions.....Norm Guindon

Could both of you please reply to this post by doing a step-by-step of your landing? Please include EVERYTHING you can think of - all the actions, lever movement, pedals, spoilers, reversers, everything please.Thanks,

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Lefteris,All these steps are accomplished while flying in the VC (no levers or buttons used in 2d panels)Descent is accomplished in VNAV and LNAV mode until approx. 30 miles from arrival airport.1. On descent I will select vref for the intended flap setting in the FMC.2. Based on assigned rwy I ensure I've selected the proper rwy and STAR if it has changed due to wind direction once I've contact local ATC (I usually select the rwy and star before I depart destination based on planned wind direction)2. After I've slowed to 240 knots under 10,000, I ensure the FMC has the correct ILS freq and course.3. I arm spoilers for landing.4. I selected Autobrakes 2.5. Ensure landing lights/taxi lights/wing lights are all illuminated.6. Ensure Fasten seat belts and no smoking are illuminated.7. When the ILS freq registers I select LOC to capture localizer.8. While slowing to approach speed I extend flaps under schedule.9. At approx. 15 nm out of airport I extend Gear.10. Localizer is captured below glideslope. I allow the plane to stabilize on localizer prior to selecting APP mode.11. APP mode selected prior to reaching glideslope interseption.12. Once on glideslope I usually decrease speed to Vref +5 knots.13. Around 1500 ft I disconnect Autopilot using the bar.14. Disarm autothrottle.15. Clear master warning.16. Ensure TCAS is set to TA only17. At approximately 20 feet above ground I cut throttles (using CH yoke throttle).18. Upon ground contact I press F2 on keyboard to apply reverse thrust while I look at bottom left hand corner to see if autobrakes have kicked in.I've listed this out from memory as I'm not doing a flight right now but if I can think of anything else I may have left out I will add but I think this covers it for now.I also use Track IR in the VCAppreciate the help Lefteris.Norm Guindon

>Lefteris,>>All these steps are accomplished while flying in the VC (no>levers or buttons used in 2d panels)>>Descent is accomplished in VNAV and LNAV mode until approx. 30>miles from arrival airport.>>1. On descent I will select vref for the intended flap>setting in the FMC.>>2. Based on assigned rwy I ensure I've selected the proper>rwy and STAR if it has changed due to wind direction once I've>contact local ATC (I usually select the rwy and star before I>depart destination based on planned wind direction)>>2. After I've slowed to 240 knots under 10,000, I ensure the>FMC has the correct ILS freq and course.>>3. I arm spoilers for landing.>>4. I selected Autobrakes 2.>>5. Ensure landing lights/taxi lights/wing lights are all>illuminated.>>6. Ensure Fasten seat belts and no smoking are illuminated.>>7. When the ILS freq registers I select LOC to capture>localizer.>>8. While slowing to approach speed I extend flaps under>schedule.>>9. At approx. 15 nm out of airport I extend Gear.>>10. Localizer is captured below glideslope. I allow the plane>to stabilize on localizer prior to selecting APP mode.>>11. APP mode selected prior to reaching glideslope>interseption.>>12. Once on glideslope I usually decrease speed to Vref +5>knots.>>13. Around 1500 ft I disconnect Autopilot using the bar.>>14. Disarm autothrottle.>>15. Clear master warning.>>16. Ensure TCAS is set to TA only>>17. At approximately 20 feet above ground I cut throttles>(using CH yoke throttle).>>18. Upon ground contact I press F2 on keyboard to apply>reverse thrust while I look at bottom left hand corner to see>if autobrakes have kicked in.>>I've listed this out from memory as I'm not doing a flight>right now but if I can think of anything else I may have left>out I will add but I think this covers it for now.>>I also use Track IR in the VC>>Appreciate the help Lefteris.>>Norm GuindonThanks Norman,Your procedure is very clear and mimics exactly what I am doing.I will post a detailed one also but I am at work for the momentYves