Sign in to follow this  
springbok204

Correct Simulation Of Engine Instrumentation

Maybe someone can answer this question for me.Originally when PMDG produced the 747-400, only GE engines were simulated and engine instruments reflected GE where power is set by N1. Recently, a friend of mine who has both the pax and freighter version told me that all engines types on the 747-400 are now simulated correctly, eg RR is a triple spool engine and should have an N3 indication and RR and PW power is set by EPR which is displayed.So my question is this. My software installation is current (as per the free updates). Do I have to purchase the freighter version to get these updates? Can someone explain to me the evolution of how the engine instrumentation accurately reflects the engine type and how I can I get it?Kirk Mayers

Quoted from the PMDG 744F sales info page: Additional Engine Indications - P&W and RR EICAS indications are realistically represented.PMDG never offered free upgrades to the 744 that were added to the 744F, most of them were specific to the freighter.They have offered price breaks for the FSX 744X/F to 744 customers. Seems reasonable.I think I read once, many months ago, that the different engine variants share the same air model, the differences are eye-candy only. Then again, my memory usually forgets the details.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,That's actually incorrect - with the 400F addon, the variants have different airfiles and FMC performance libraries and will behave realistically per the real life differences between the three engine types.If you have the base 400 pax, then yeah it's all the same airfile regardless of visual model.Only the 400F (and 400X) has the EICAS nomenclature and customized airfiles for each type.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Yeah, it's those details again. Thanks for the correction.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for that clarification.I was on the verge of buying the freighter version but I think I'll stick with the pax version. Shame that the same thing couldn't have been done with the pax version.Kirk Mayers

Hi, I think Ryan wants to say that if you have the -F Add On then the different Air Files and the Engine Displays apply also to the PAX Version. I you don't have the Freighter update, you will only see differences in the visual model and the same FDE's are used for all variants. Jan-Paul

Ok. I thought I understood but now I'm a bit confused.So here's the scenario.The 747-400 pax version does not simulate the varying EICAS nomenclature of the different engine types on the 747. But the 747-400F does.If I were to install the 747-400F, I would get the varying EICAS nomenclature of the engine types on that aircraft. Would that also be applied to the pax version?Kirk Mayers

>If I were to install the 747-400F, I would get the varying>EICAS nomenclature of the engine types on that aircraft. >Would that also be applied to the pax version?Yes it would.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Ok. I got it now. I think I didn't ask the question the right way. English can be such an imprecise language sometimes. Thanks Markus!Kirk Mayers