Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joshieca

Getting sort of heavy!

Heavy aircraft are aircraft that are capable of takeoff weights of more thatn 255,000 lbs weather or not they are operating at that weight or not. 757s are considered large aircraft according to the AIM. However, they are grouped in with heavy aircraft for seperation rules because they produce a large ammount of wake turbulence. (AIM Page A-402) Hope this helps.DAVID C. FREEMANCONTINENTAL VIRTUAL AIRLINESHouston

A plane with more then 300 000 pounds gross weight is classified as a heavy from what I remember.Take careMikeEDIT: It looks lke David knows better so I would go with his answer.

Just from what I think....747,757,767,777A300A310A330A340A380, duh!MD-11DC-10L1011

Guest Joshieca

>Just from what I think.... >>747,757,767,777 >>A300 >A310 >A330 >A340 >A380, duh! >>MD-11 >DC-10 >>L1011 A300 is a Heavy?? What about the 320 series?

I was just going on wide-body aircraft. I do believe the A300 is heavy. Remember, it was the 767 of the 70's.No the A320's are definately not heavies. The would be like saying a 737 is a heavy. Aint happening

The A320's Max T/O weight is 162,040lbs, so that means it isn't a heavy... :-)

Guest HeavyFan

I know that the 757-200 is not called a Heavy! But the 757-300 that ATA uses to fly here to my home airport of Honolulu Intl, i hear on my scanner that they call the 757-300's Heavy's! so hope that clears the 757 thing up! MIKE-:)

Hummm... 757 a heavy???I hadn't heard that one before?

Guest Joshieca

>Hummm... 757 a heavy??? >>I hadn't heard that one before? Thats what I thought, but from what the others are saying, it makes sense that this plane would be a heavy...its very large. I remember when I was younger I would go down to the airport with friends and watch the planes come in. There was this old man there with a radio that would get the plane calls....anyways, I would always call the 757's "Skinny" heavies. What did I know I was a kid! :(

Guest 727Fan

From what happens at KMKE, the NW B757-200s that fly in and out of here are not called "heavy" by ATC. However, they always issue a wake turbulence advisory to arriving and departing aircraft when one takes-off.Yet, the Wis ANG KC-135s that use MKE also are always referred to by ATC as "heavy." Must be the 300,000 rule.Rick