Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

Two simple tips to dramatically increase frame rates.

Guest cliffie1931

Both of these tips have increased frame rates under FSX/Vista quite dramatically.1. I followed the suggestion of one of the more experienced members of this Forum noting that he sets his Target Frame Rate at "Unlimited". I only wish I could remember his name so that I could thank him. 2. I followed the suggestion of my computer guru and installed the free 30 day trial of a defrag utility called "Diskeeper 2008."First it did a really thorough defrag. Then I was able set it to carry out a continuous defrag in the background. It's fascinating to check what it tidies up each day without me even knowing when or whether it's quietly beavering away. Now my computer has never been faster.It's link is http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.aspSince making these two changes I'm getting impressive frame rates and I'm chuffed that I have no need to spend time defragging every week or so.I hope my experience has been helpful.Cliff

Good pointers, Cliff.I would also suggest (especially for NOD32 antivirus users) that you exclude the "C:Program FilesMicrosoft Games" from virus scanning. This can really speed things up on some rigs.Best,Vin ScimonePMDGwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/img/forum/sig_pmdg.jpg

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Guest hmswarspite

The unlimited framerates is a big, big help. I don't find things particuarly jerky and the occasional stutter is worth it for greater fluidity close to the ground. I actually find the machine loading sound files to cause most of my major hic ups. Colin in Portland

>Both of these tips have increased frame rates under FSX/Vista>quite dramatically.>>1. I followed the suggestion of one of the more experienced>members of this Forum noting that he sets his Target Frame>Rate at "Unlimited". I only wish I could remember his name so>that I could thank him. >>2. I followed the suggestion of my computer guru and>installed the free 30 day trial of a defrag utility called>"Diskeeper 2008.">>I can concur with your suggestions. I set mine to unlimited, and went from 9fps to 15fps (KLAX) in 2d. This isn't needed for other add-ons, but it does make a difference for the 747x.I also excluded my FSX folder from being scanned by NOD32, and and regularly defrag. All of these things make a big difference.- John

I can't find the route to the item for setting the 'unlimited'. Can anyone help, please?Cheers, R

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Guest cliffie1931

Okay Richard, follow this sequence:Options.....Settings.....Display. In the Display section select the Graphics tab.On the left, a little way down, you'll see the "Target Frame Rate" slider. Moving it to the extreme right results in the "Unlimited" setting that you want.If this explanation isn't clear enough come back and I'll try and help you.Cliff

Many thanks, Cliff. As usual absolutely clear! Many thanks, R

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Hi Cliff:Just a question of curiosity. Will you buy that defrag software or just use it for 30 days? And if you buy it , which one do you recommend? I'm not sure if I should just keep using the Windows defrag software or buy the one you are talking about. (I'm not sure it will make much difference in the frame rate).Thanks, Kaue.

Guest cliffie1931

Hi there Kaue.........1. I first tried this utility for three weeks at no cost. Then I bought it.2.It's called "Diskeeper 2008" You'll find the link in my first posting.3."Diskeeper 2008" is made by the same people who made the defrag uitlty included in Windows. However it's far superior to their Windows edition.4. I too was not sure whether my frame rate would improve. That's why I tried it before buying.Not only has it improved frmae rates but my computer is now considerably faster and gives less trouble.Regards........Cliff