Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dream747

B747X questions

Guest Dream747

Hi everyone,I just bought the B747-400X very recently and I've been learning well with the documentations that come along with it. However I've got some issues that I can't solve.. I don't believe it's any bugs but actions on my part but I can't seem to find any answers or ways to solve it. Anyway I've followed the tutorials for start-up from cold and dark but I'm always left with 3 EICAS messages "No Autoland", "Yaw Damper LWR/UPR". I believe the power to the yaw damper is provided by the hydraulics and I've doubled checked always that it's on and normal before and after all the engines are started and the yaw damper has been turned on as well. I have no idea why the "No Autoland" is there, been trying many things without success. What am I missing here? If I take-off with this message, I can't engage any of the autopilot at all.Secondly, I installed the add-on liveries but I can't see them in the aircraft selection menu in FSX. I went through the Aircraft.cfg file and the entries are there as per the default liveries. Anyone has any ideas regarding these? Thanks very much. :) alvinEdit: to include name

All three IRU's aligned?Maybe you could post a screenshot of your overhead panel?Cheers.Q> イアン

Secondly, I installed the add-on liveries but I can't see them in the aircraft selection menu in FSX. I went through the Aircraft.cfg file and the entries are there as per the default liveries.Did you place a checkmark in the "Show all variations" box on the aircraft select screen? It's near the bottom of the screen where you can choose an aircraft.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest Dream747

Okay I missed out the show all variations box.. how silly can I get!I tried starting the B747X with everything running, the messages were not there. But when I tried shutting down engine number 1 and the Yaw Damper EICAS message pops up again and it wouldn't go away even when I restart engine 1. Regarding the No Autoland, I think it's the way I align my IRS. For a start at beginner stage at the settings page I put it to instant alignment. So in the cockpit I turned all 3 off then align and 5 minutes later I set all 3 to Nav. In the FMC I set the IRS position to with reference from the GPS and not Last Pos. Am I doing anything wrong?As for the screenshot I'll put it up if this doesn't work as it's a clean computer and I haven't installed anything that can resize images as yet. ;)Thanks,alvin

"But when I tried shutting down engine number 1 and the Yaw Damper EICAS message pops up again and it wouldn't go away even when I restart engine 1."Sorry, I really can't explain this, Alvin. Yaw Dampers use hydraulics #2 & #3 and IRU's. Shutting down engine 1 should have no effect on the YD's unless all your overhead switches are in the wrong positions.There have been reports of IRU alignment problems in PMDG. Sometimes you need to insert the position more than once, but I can't recall if that's with the option of instant alignment selected. For a normal alignment, you should put your IRU switches straight from OFF to NAV, then after 10 seconds or so, insert your current position (GPS position should be ok)... then wait 10 minutes.Re screenshots, if you're using WinXP or Vista, you can resize pics using Windows Paint (using the stretch/skew control).. then save as a jpg. Don't make them too small however.Cheers.Q> イアン

Guest Dream747

Hey Qavion..I think I've managed to solve it after more tries. When I chose the other timings for alignment in the settings page it seemed to work fine except for the instant option. Sounds strange but ti's fine I guess I wouldn't mind waiting since I'll need time to set up the cockpit as well. The No Autoland message went away as well.Anyway as a side question why would the operation of the yaw dampers be affected by the IRU? One concerns the positioning the other is just aircraft operation? Just curious.Thanks for very much for the input!alvin

Alvin,The IRUs are actually monitoring the aircraft accelerations along the three axises to determine position. These acceleration changes are vital data for precise yaw damper operations. Hence the need for aligned IRUs before Yaw Dampers can be engaged.Hope it helps,

Guest Dream747

Yes it did thanks very much!