Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

747-400X saving/loading a flight

I am confused (not difficult!) about the correct procedure for saving a flight in mid-flight, and then re-loading it at some later time. When I load a saved flight, I am often off-track by many miles, and the autopilot is unresponsive to speed, LNAV and VNAV commands.The AOM 0-14 states: "The user can also save and load cockpit states from this [PMDG] menu after saving flights in progress." It also states: "PMDG Menu: Panel State: This area provides the ability to save the current flight state, or to load a previously saved state".The AOM 0-15 states: "We recommend using the MSFS FLIGHT/SAVE menu for saving a flight or scenario." NB not state. It continues: "If you save your flight using the MSFS Save Situation menu, your current cockpit state will be saved simultaneously. When you later reload this scenario, you will be right back where you left off!"From the above, I gather that to save all instrument states, I should pause the flight, perform MSFS FLIGHT/SAVE (which will also implicitly perform a PMDG Save Panel State). If this is true, then why does the explicit PMDG Save Panel State option exist? If this is not true, then should I perform the PMDG Save Panel State as well?Subsequently, to reload and continue the flight, should I perform a MSFS FLIGHT/LOAD followed immediately by a PMDG Load Panel State, and then un-pause the flight?What are the differences between what is saved by the MSFS and PMDG save options?Hoping for some authoritative assistance,Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Richard:I have done it successfully and not so successfully. Pause first, then save the flight. That seems to help. I then go back and save the panel state overwriting the one made when saving the flight. All the above notwithstanding, I would caution you against being too reliant on this feature. The simulation is complex (as we well know) and I think sometimes this FS feature is best used in default aircraft not one such as our fat girl.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi Carl!I understand, and thanks. But I still wish clarification from PMDG to my questions.Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Guest kame

Gentlmen,As I said before, my experience is as follows:1) Pausing PMDG2) Saving it with FS3) After ----------4) Loading saved PMDG with FS5) PMDG appeares with Fuel quantity of the Previouse flight not of the saved PMDGSincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

>Gentlmen,>>As I said before, my experience is as follows:>>1) Pausing PMDG>2) Saving it with FS>3) After ---------->4) Loading saved PMDG with FS>5) PMDG appeares with Fuel quantity of the Previouse flight>not of the saved PMDG>>Sincerely,>>Kan-ichiro Fushihara> Hi Everyone,Is there is any further progress on saving flights midway-I have recently started using the 747x and all the saved flights do not start at the saved point-the flight plan becomes deleted in the FMC the plane is off track and doing a steep climb.All the auto pilot commands are off.I have the 747 for fs9 and never had this problem.I use fsx,GEX america/Canada,ut europe and hifi .Looking forward to you comments.qas

Guest PSFlyer

Had the same problem and here is what I figured out:Do not save your flight with VNAV engaged.Instead, disengage VNAV and be in Autopilot, speed and altitude hold.When you load the flight back, relax, the AC may climb or turn but just for a few seconds. The AP alt and speed hld will quickly stabilize the AC and you are fine.Now, go to the FMC, it will most likely have a msg "no active route". Do not worry, your route is still there (as a matter effect your ND still displays it). CLR that message, go to the PERF page. You will notice that for some reason your cost index is gone. Just put it in and magically the whole thing will return to functionality. You can now press VNAV and you are back in business.If you skip the step with the cost index and try to engage VNAV right after loading your flight, you will get a msg - no VNAV availabe, so make sure you do this in order.For me this works every time and coming back to saved flights is now routine. I hope this helps you as well