Sign in to follow this  
Guest dirkvanderlaan

Unable to enter VNAV mode after S/E cruise and S/U problems

Guest dirkvanderlaan

I was experimenting with the CRZ page and came into the S/E cruise page. I couldn't leave the page after I had entered it. Also I noticed I couldn't engage VNAV mode in the next flight which I subsequently flew (I still couldn't get out of the s/e cruise page to the normal one).Why is that? Is that the same in reality?Also I still can't figure out how to change if the system is running or not at fs2004 startup. And why it takes fs ages to startup the 737NG. Yes, I switched on the fuel pump, set the switches to GND (doesn't do anything only ctr-e works), moved the fuel levers to idle etc etc. I hear the engine starting but not much happens. Only after some twenty tries the first engine starts up, and then the same routine with engine no 2.Cheers,Dirk van der LaanOS Windows VistaIntel Core2 DUO T7700 2.4 GHz3 Gb RAM

Can't help with the Single Engine stuff.. but, a slow 737NG load could be due to file fragmentation. It takes my system much less than a minute to load. As for FS2004 E and Ctrl+E I advise to never use them.. I deleted the assignments to prevent getting into a single engine mode accidently. Engine starts need the APU running, Run/Start switches on the Throttle pedestal up and some fuel. Pretty basic compared to the 747.

Dan Downs KCRP

"And why it takes fs ages to startup the 737NG."Packs and NAI switched off? Pneumatic bleed valves configured correctly?Cheers.Q>

Guest dirkvanderlaan

>As for FS2004 E and Ctrl+E I>advise to never use them.. I deleted the assignments to>prevent getting into a single engine mode accidently. >>Engine starts need the APU running, Run/Start switches on the>Throttle pedestal up and some fuel. Pretty basic compared to>the 747.>Maybe I didn't make myself clear: (1) turning the knob on the overhead panel to GRD DOESN'T DO ANYTHING. No clicking, no sound, no temperature change, no nothing. And of course the APU is running and the fuel pumps are on (see below). So the only way to S/U for me is with ctrl-e. (2) I do these checks after starting up the APU (from the 737 tutorial at http://www.fsstation.com/tutorials/boeing-pmdg-737ng.html)1. Turn L PACK and R PACK off. This will reduce the APU workload and provide more bleed air for the engines to start. They will remain off until the engines are started and their generators connected. [overhead]2. Turn on all four wing fuel pumps - leave the center tanks off, since they have only a small amount of fuel for the pumps to remain immersed. [overhead]3. Turn on the anti-collision lights. These lights indicates that the engines are running or about to be started. [overhead] AND ... NOTHING HAPPENSFYI I installed the 737 in FSX and s/u is perfect!

"Maybe I didn't make myself clear:"Could you post a shot of your overhead panel. There is always the chance that something has been missed. Also, ensure fuel cutoff levers are OFF until the engine reaches the appropriate speed.What position is the bleed isolation valve in? Closed, AUTO OR open?Cheers.Q>

Guest dirkvanderlaan

OK, I've got it going! Switched the eng bleed air off and bingo. I flew in some advanced x-plane 738's but never anything like this one. Would be a good idea though, to make a couple of pictures of the overhead panel in different flight phases. Might reduce the number of posts to this forum.Thanks for the help,Dirk

"Switched the eng bleed air off and bingo. I flew in some advanced x-plane 738's but never anything like this one. Would be a good idea though, to make a couple of pictures of the overhead panel in different flight phases. Might reduce the number of posts to this forum."A series of pics showing various flight phases would be good, but understanding the system is a better way to go ;)It's really not standard operating procedure to close the engine bleed air valves. I suspect the Bleed Isolation switch is in AUTO and airplane logic is keeping the bleed isolation valve closed. If the Bleed Isolation Valve is in AUTO, then switching off one or both packs (or closing any engine bleed valve) activates duct bleed isolation valve "open" logic, allowing bleed air to get from the APU to the Right Engine for engine start. If you are not seeing this behaviour, then something is broken (or another switch is causing problems).Cheers.Q> イアン

Guest dirkvanderlaan

>"It's really not standard operating procedure to close the>engine bleed air valves. I suspect the Bleed Isolation switch>is in AUTO and airplane logic is keeping the bleed isolation>valve closed. If the Bleed Isolation Valve is in AUTO, then>switching off one or both packs (or closing any engine bleed>valve) activates duct bleed isolation valve "open" logic,>allowing bleed air to get from the APU to the Right Engine for>engine start. If you are not seeing this behaviour, then>something is broken (or another switch is causing problems).>Two wrongs make one right. I just needed to put the APU bleed valve open and close the Packs and S/U is running smoothly. No need to close the engine bleed valves. Sorry about that. I still think that one pictures tells more than a thousand words. I found that understanding the system from the Systems manual isn't that easy even for someone like me who has completed ATPL theory (OK it's ten years ago, but still).