Sign in to follow this  
aguthrie

747-400X Proper IRS align procedure

HiI am having trouble getting the 747-400X IRS system to align when I start from a cold and dark cockpit. When the checklist tells me to do so I move the IRS switches from Nav to Off and back to Nav then to Align. When the timers on the Nav page get to 0 and disappear I move the switches back to Nav expecting the map on the Nav screen to come alive, but it doesn't. Instead after a minute the align timers reappear and continue to count backwards into negative numbers and I still have IRS align EICAS messages. This happens no matter how long I make the align time (haven't tried instant though). Incidentally I have also tried just moving the switches to Nav and skip moving them to align, but I had the same results. Am I doing something wrong? What is the correct procedure?Thanks,Adam Guthrie

Are you entering your location into the FMC?

Adam,Proper procedure is as follows as far as I remmeber:IRS switches to NAVEnter present position into FMSWaitDoneHope it helps,

Guest Eek

From cold and dark, follow what Mats wrote. You would only use "align" if you were up and running already, and it was going to be more than 18 hours from your initial alignment until your arrival at your next destination.EwingKATLAlcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.MSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Opteron 185 2.6 Ghz Dual Core2GB Kingston HyperX (2X1GB) Dual Channel DDR 2-3-2-6 @ 1TXFX nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB DDR3 AGPSound Blaster Audigy LSSilverStone Decathlon 750W +12v@60A +5v@30AFS9 on WinXPPro (SP1)