Sign in to follow this  
RDG41

747X sound problem

I'm having a problem with the sound in the 747X. When I'm in the cockpit, the sound seems fine. If I go to spot view , the sounds don't change over to the external sounds, the cockpit sounds remain.In the sound menu I have "hear external sounds checked" off.Is this a bug PMDG?

Dear Ron,Certain sound cards are having this issue - give this suggestion a try.When the 747X is loading in FSX make sure you keep the window focus on FSX - basically, dont switch to other applications while the 747X is loading.See if this helps.Armen L Cholakianhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/img/forum/sig_pmdg.jpg

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Thanks Armen,I will give that a try. I always wait until it is loaded before I do anything else but it is possible that I didn't.

Guest BurtSP

I am having the same problem with the 400X. I just installed the sim about 2 hours ago. Conducted a quick flight from KPAE to Moses Lake, all systems function as expected. Graghics are fine and I still have great frame rate.External sounds are non exsistant unless I check the box in the Addon, PMDG, Sounds menu. With this one checked I get all the cockpit sounds (in external) as expected.Additionally, when I select other planes, addons and default, external sounds still do not function.I will uninstall the 400X to see if that changes the external sounds for the other aircraft.System InfoI am running FSX( SP1 ) in Win XP w/SP2 Addons:LVLD 767Wings of Power 2, P40 from ShockwaveTim Piglet Conrad PZL M-18A DromaderThats it!!SYSTEM:Intel Core 2 Duo 6600EVGA 680I2 GB Corsair XMS DDR2EVGA 7900GTX PCIE 169.07 Creative SB X-FI current driversSean P. BurtPort Orchard, Wa

Guest BurtSP

OkI have some additional info for this sound problem. When I remove 400X problem remains with all the default and addon aircraft. However, the problem was not there until I installed the 400X. I am not placing blame or pointing fingers. Simply for the point of troubleshooting this is an important bit of intel.Before and after I removed the 400X I performed several tests with various aircraft both the default selection and my several add on planes. I had very different results throughout the tests.Default aircraft had engine sounds at various RPM in the cockpit only. In normal external view (spot or fixed) there were only a few external type noises such as road wheel noise and slip stream noise when taking off. In top down view the normal engine sounds at any RPM were present. Strange.The Shockwave P40 was even stranger, when facing forward in the VC I could hear no engine sounds but when I panned left or right, 3D type positional engine sounds were present at all rpms. In external view I again could hear no engine related noises at any RPM even in Top down view. I could hear road wheel noise when rolling or taxiing.With the 400X, in the normal external view ( SPot or fixed ) I could hear no external noises unless taxing or taking off at high engine power levels and the noise was a real low frequency rumble.Primarily the sound issue is related to engine RPm noises only. I guess now I will reinstall FSX and all aircraft including the 400X and see if this issue persists.Sean P. BurtPort Orchard, WA.

Guest BurtSP

I must make some apologies and a confession.First an apology goes to Ron for hyjacking his thread with what was an apparently unrelated issue.Second I apologize to PMDG for accusing their fine product of a phantom flaw. Simply put, when in doubt check polarity! At a New Years eve bash I met up with a few fellow tech nerds and explained my FSX sound problem, one of them suggested that I check my cables. And then it dawned on me that I just recently disconnected everything to clean the dust out of my rig. Yeah well enough said on this.One last note, even though FSX is the most important software on your computer, when troubleshooting check other games/programs as well, would have saved me a whole mess of time.Sean P. Burt

No problem Sean. In my opinion ,the more responses the better when there is a problem.Getting back to my original post, seems that I still have this problem. I've noticed that the 747X is very taxing on resources which I'm thinking is related to my problem. The plane will take a very long time to refresh leaving a muddy outline after changing views. When all this catches up and finally does refresh, the sound usually returns to it's normal state. When landing it becomes even worse as the ground textures come into play. So I'm going to assume this is do too the high polygon count in the aircraft.I'm sure my machine is sufficiant to run FSX and the 747X. Mipmapping the aircraft textures has releaved some of it, but it's still there.I haven't come across this problem with other FSX aircraft.