Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Flying online in FSX

Merry Christmas to my fellow FS enthusiasts, first of all! I realise this isn't exactly the correct forum for this question, but I am asking since I primarily use PMDG products when flying online.As I understand it, Squawkbox is not currently available in FSX. So I was wondering if someone could tell me how to get online in FSX to fly on the Vatsim network? I'd love to take my PMDG 747-400X for a ride online in FSX!Thanks in advance,

FSInn.You'll need FSCopilot v1.7 and FSInn v1.3 for FSX. Make sure after installation that FSCopilot is the last entry in your dll.xml file. Full download and installation instructions can be found here...http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=20466I took my 747X from KPHL to EGBB on Vatsim on Saturday, jolly good fun it was too :D

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Are these payware or freeware programs? Website links for both would be most appreciated.Thanks,

FSInn is a Vatsim client so it is freeware. The link I provided will make sure you get the correct version and install it properly for Vatsim and that is why I provided it first. Some imformation on the developers website can be a tad confusing so I pointed you to the best source of info first. FSInn/Copilot are from @http://www.mcdu.com/.....and another reminder (because it's a very common mistake) FSX requires versions 1.3 of FSInn and 1.7 of Copilot which are technically betas so don't appear on the MCDU download page but they are the FSX SP1 & 2 versions. For Vatsim installation instructions refer to the link in my first reply.Sorry if I seem to be labouring the point but the absolute key to success with FSInn is following those instructions. Large numbers of people don't and it's the devils own job working out where they've gone wrong afterwards!Have a great Xmas Day!

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

That seems sooo much more complicated than Squawkbox - one program, easy install, enter vatsim ID and password and you're set.

It really isn't that much more complicated if you have the right version for your software. Seriously you can be up and running on Vatsim inside 5 minutes if you follow the advice. It only really gets messy with Vista thanks to the complications of UAC within Vista and that would apply to any other client as well (of which there aren't any right now!). The devilish dll.xml file within FSX does cause one potential pitfall to look out for but that's due to FSX and the way it works.FSInn does have a lot more features than SB3 and it is those that attract a lot of people to it but most of the default settings will work just fine. If you have an specific issues with it then either drop me a line on williamc(AT)tgis.co.uk or drop a note in the Vatsim.net FSInn Help forum since it's not really appropriate here on the PMDG site.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

>It really isn't that much more complicated if you have the>right version for your software. Seriously you can be up and>running on Vatsim inside 5 minutes if you follow the advice.>It only really gets messy with Vista thanks to the>complications of UAC within Vista and that would apply to any>other client as well (of which there aren't any right now!).>The devilish dll.xml file within FSX does cause one potential>pitfall to look out for but that's due to FSX and the way it>works.>>FSInn does have a lot more features than SB3 and it is those>that attract a lot of people to it but most of the default>settings will work just fine. >>If you have an specific issues with it then either drop me a>line on williamc(AT)tgis.co.uk or drop a note in the>Vatsim.net FSInn Help forum since it's not really appropriate>here on the PMDG site.>But the weather function doesnt work with FSInn

>But the weather function doesnt work with FSInnNo it doesn't above FL245 (the TATs are wrong and that's a Simconnect issue) but a workaround is being worked on plus if one wants to fly Vatsim with FSX then one has little choice!

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

I fly online, being careful to disable weather in FSInn and enable ActiveSky X. That works wonders.Also make sure you disable all the radio-related functionality in FSInn as it causes problems with VOR needles etc.

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

>Also make sure you disable all the radio-related functionality>in FSInn as it causes problems with VOR needles etc.That's news to me Lefteris, I've been flying PMDG products with FSInn for several years (FS2k2 and FSX) and never seen any VOR issues.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

All these posts about changing things in FS9/FSX to run those two programs instead of Squawkbox seem to validate what I said in a previous post - Squawkbox is so much simpler! I'm definitely waiting for the new FSX version of that instead of FSInn, etc. Too much hassle.

Hi Matt,Your call mate but if you got a spare hour or so you should try it. It is a really good program and not so difficult to install. As it has been said before - and this is true for the installation of ALL softwares - it is highly recommended to read the install notes before installing any product. Too bad a lot of peopl