Sign in to follow this  
BobK

What's the Pope's Callsign?

Guest P3_Super_Bee

Yep you are correct about the Columbine III at Wright-Pat.The other 8 "Air Force Ones" at Wright-Pat (USAF Muesum)Douglas VC-54C "Scared Cow"* Birth place of the USAF(Pres. Truman signed the National Security Act of 1947 on this aircraft.)Douglas VC-118 "Indepenance"Bell UH-13J "Souix"* First Presidental HeloBeech VC-6A (read B90) "Lady Bird Special"Aero Commander U4-B* Smallest Air Force One* First Air Force One with only 2 engines* First with a blue and white paint scheme(Though not one in use today)North American T-39 "Sabre Liner"Lockheed VC-140B "Jetstar"Boeing VC-137C (SAM 26000)* First Jet designed exclusively for the President* Paint Scheme designed under direction of President Kennedy* In Dallas on 23 November, 1963* Officially named "Sprit of '76 by President Nixonhttp://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/annex/ans.htm:-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/images/675-2fs.jpg

Id like to know whether the Queen has a special call sign or whether it is just sppedbird like for regular BA 'cos normally she flies in a BA jet.:-scatter

Bob, I think he was referring to just govermental aircraft and not top secret stuff like the secret service that you mentioned. Flights like AF1 (the only one I can speak first hand about) can be heard on any scanner that picks up VHF aircraft freqs. Like I said, I dont know if they take more security measures in airports where the threat would be larger than lets say, where I live....Des MoinesLOL! So because you think you heard something in "Des Moines" that's the way it is?? ;-)))LOL! I can tell you that you will never here Air Force One Communications here in D.C. I live 10 miles from Andrews Airforce Base.Just goes to show you that you can't believe crap on these forums! LOL!

before the spelling bee police come out I mean "Hear" not "Here" ;-)

Quite a few US Military aircraft have standard VHF aircraft radios. Air Force One has the ability... so does the other units in the VIP Fleet and the larger transport aircraft sine they fly just about anywhere in the world and East Overshoe airport in some backwater will have a VHF Radio.. not an encrypted UHF One. Controlled airports and ATC Centers have the UHF radios that the military uses but those are for controlling the smaller military aircraft (Fighters and the like) that fly through thier airspace. these planes don't have the space for 2 complete sets of radios. I routinely hear USAF and Air Guard tankers on my scanner (Call sign OPEC) talking to Boston Center.Brian

I thought I had seen somewhere before it was "Holy 1" but I have seen reference to both at timesRichard GreenVATUSA4Events and VA Director

Guest RiddlePilot

"Same for the Blue Angels in air shows (although they do occasionally use the 238-280mhz range), or any military aircraft"During the school year, the Thunderbirds took part in our parents weekend/homecoming airshow on the beach. On the second day of performing, I was at school in my room (I saw it all the first day) and heard the flight leader giving manuver callouts to the team on one of the civil aviation frequencies.

So Mr. Fred, just what did you think I meant when I said I dont know about everywhere else, but in Des Moines AF1 is clearly heard over approach and tower freqs? Did I say that because it was this way in Des Moines than it MUST be this way all over the world? I get tired of people (not referring to anyone in particular) who think they know absolutely E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. Its usually little snot nose punks who dont know their as$ from a hole in the ground. But anyways, I dont know if you misunderstood my posts or whatever, but my debate was to other posters claiming that all governmental agency flights had scrambled radio transmissions is false. Thats all I was saying.Craig

I have to apologize for that post above, sometimes I get a little bent out of shape when I think people are saying I dont know what Im talking about, because I will rarely state something as fact unless I have seen it with my own two eyes (or in this case ears). So I apologize if I was out of line there. :)Craig

That is true, no matter what plane the president is on, it will always be called Airforce One, even if it was a Cessna 152, although I doubt he flies in one of those.

I think AF1 is like POTUS. When you're talking about Obama being physically inside anything, that is an AF1. AF1 has POTUS.

Wow, talk about necroposting. A 12 year old thread about the Pope's call sign. Really???

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Wow, talk about necroposting. A 12 year old thread about the Pope's call sign. Really???

2edy1de.jpg

If a 12 year old thread bothers you 2 so much, why bother posting in it then?

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hangar Chat". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.