Sign in to follow this  
Guest dirkvanderlaan

Where have the NDB's gone?

Guest dirkvanderlaan

I cannot get any NDB's on my ND (737-6/7). I can push any displaybutton and get VOR's, Airports, waypoints etc but no NDB's. I can set the frequency and see the blue arrow for the direction, but on the map display it's not visible. Where have they gone?

I had to fire it up just to make sure... nope, no NDBs and in the past year I don't recall seeing an NDB on the ND, just VORs and VORDs listed in the wpNavAID.txt file.You can use the radio to point to an NDB/ADF, which uses the basic MSFS navaid simulation where stations are in .bgl scenery files. Nothing in the .bgl's is presented on the ND (except for CDI overlays).

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest dirkvanderlaan

Well, well, well. I presumed that everything was in order. This would be too big a thing to overlook. However, I do wonder why they are gone? They can be so handy. Fe Schiphol has several locators which ATC uses to direct aircrafts to when lining them up for the ILS ('direct CH, direct OA' etc). In fact I used these locators to get a perfect line up by keeping an eye on it on my map display in other sim737's. Now I can only use them to point to the general direction by tuning and following the blue arrow. Too bad!

Guest dirkvanderlaan

>When I>asked exactly the same question back in 2004 (>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...52161&mode=full>) I got a bit of a roasting from Randy.Thanks for your reference to the forumtopic. I did a search on NDB's but didn't come across your question. I think your question was valid, and I'm glad with the answer that refers to the real world (captain B.Bulfer) as I think realism is the most powerful argument for a sim. It seems that someone at Jeppeson's didn't like NDB's as much as I did in the days when I was flying myself in the real world.In Europe flying interceptions with NDB's (QDM, QDR) is standard pilottraining. If my memory is correct in the US things are slightly different, so maybe Jeppeson leaned more to the US side in this respect.