Sign in to follow this  
Vic1

high spec machine

i have just built this very high spec machine hoping for smooth frames in fsx but have been sorely dissapointed as have achieved as low as 7 fps in built up areas with the queen and all sliders maxed out. I realy thought my performance problems would be over with this lamborghini of computers. I have installed all the latest drivers and enabled sli and every possible tweak yet fsx still kills it even though my 3d mark score of 61512 is pretty high. It has 2 EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra SuperClocked SILENT 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) SLI'd.here are the specsIntel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6850 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 3.00GHz (1333FSB)EVGA nForce 680i SLi (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGX1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSUZalman CNPS9700-NT nVidia Tritium CPU Cooler 2 x EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra SuperClocked SILENT 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)in SLI configWestern Digital Raptor 150GB 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache - OEM8 gigs ram/ memory G.Skill DDR2 PQ PC2-8000C5 (2x2GB) CAS5 Dual Channel Kithas anyone got a similar rig and had the same results , perhaps tell me what fps you get or 3dmark benchmark score you have achieved i cant believe that this is as good as it gets for fsxthanksKavthanks

I certainly don't have all that horsepower, but I have read in the ACES blogs that sliders full right in FSX is asking for problems.I've got an older XPS Gen 4 3.2GHz (single core!) with an equally old ATI video card and rarely get below 12 fps in the Queen. PMDG has some recommendations in their wiki section.. worth a look.Good luck.

Dan Downs KCRP

For about a year now, I have had 2 dual core Xeon 5160s in my main computer running Vista 64 with 4Gb and (more recently) the same graphics card as you: unsurprisingly, I get the same sort of performance in dense areas, if I try to run with everything set to maximum.There's nothing wrong with your setup. I am afraid you just have unrealistic expectations. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and I know it's hard to believe, but when people say - as many of us have warned repeatedly here and elsewhere - that you CANNOT fly FSX satisfactorily with all the settings maxed out, we really mean it. You have to make compromises with the settings to get acceptable framerates out of FSX. The faster your CPU, the fewer the compromises you need to make; but for "no compromise" performance, you will have to wait for (i) a whole new level of clockspeed / performance per cycle from some future generation of CPUs (not just the disappointing 5 or 10% boost over existing top-end equipment, which is all that Intel seems to be lining up for early 2008) and/or (ii) better implementation of multi-threading in Flightsim (which of course will not happen in FSX).Tim

Guest dirkvanderlaan

>i have just built this very high spec machine hoping for>smooth frames in fsx but have been sorely dissapointed as have>achieved as low as 7 fps in built up areas with the queen and>all sliders maxed outThanks, Kav. You showed that FSX isn't built for the present generation of PC's. I just bought a brand new IMac with Vista and couldn't get any decent fps with FSX and slides even at medium position. FS9 without all add-ons available is for me superior to FSX. I don't think 737NX will be something for me or some future SP3 must produce magic.

I have one Core2Duo E6700 with 2GB DDR, 8800GTS card, 2x300GB Segate SataII drives as a RAID0 drive of 600GB which is partitioned into 7 partitions.I run at 1920x1024 with nearly all the sliders full over and usually get frame rates of 25fps (set to max 26). Gets down to about 10-15 during landing in built up areas.I however do run with a lot of tweaks in the FSX.CFG file for things like trees and such. I also have replaced the FSX trees file with a much smaller file one which gains quite a few fps when lots of trees around.I also use nHancer to do all of the enhancing. Dont have things like bloom and shadows turned on though as they are real frame killers.John Veldthuishttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa475.png

And also it had proved to me that sli makes absolutely no difference to fsx. I ran a number of 3dmark tests with different configerationswith just one gpu installed and then 2 installed with sli enabled and with 3dmark sli made a big difference on the over score but with FSX absolutely no difference in fps. So the conclusion i came to and seems to be the general view in the forums is that its all about gpu, dont bother with sli as it has no benifit with the sim , other games yes. even 8 gig of ram did not imporove things i got the same fps with only 2 gig installed could not even tell any difference in smoothnesskav

correction to above i meant its all about CPU power not GPU, yes you will need a decent GPU but the cpu is the key dont bother with sli kav

Guest Foizman

Hi,#### hot machine!how much did you pay for such one?regards,volker

Guest Foizman

hm,the more I think and read about it the more I wonder if FSX has a really performance code by itself.If even YOUR setup can't make it run smoothly, the implementation itself maybe basically weak.There are lots of games and applications out there that run fast. So why not FSX? If a code does poorly, you can always say: need more hardware-demands and future evolution steps! But that's not the way a company should develope their products.regards,Volker

yes well my setup is like lightning on most games , in 3d mark i was getting frame rates of over 1200fps but on the cpu part of the test they went down to 17fpskav

i dont know why it has to be this way either i can only asume that there is a good reason why they cant develop fsx like other games , or im sure they would cos its certainly no good the way it iskav

One more note tweaks below are about running smooth not FPS.There isn't a machine alive that can run FSX full right slidders, read again NONE not even a "Lamborghini." Even if your slidders are full right today's hardware include yours isn't capable of generating all that FSX has to offer.I can hold 20FPS all day long, higher if I wanted too.You didn't say what your OS was can I assume correctly that you know you need a 64bit OS to handle the 8gigs of ram?Tweaks below are for XP only!Follow the tips here http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...=1163028653/0#5Nick N is a genious.Expressly use O&O as instructed available here http://www.b3ta.cr3ation.co.uk/data/exe/oodefragpro.exeSkip the Registry Mechanic recommendation.My specs:XP Pro threw Vista in the GarbageQX6700 Quad 2.66 @ 2.94Zalman coolerXFX GTX 8800 PCIEStriker Extreme MBHDD Seagate 400GB 2x Raid 0 thru 3Ware PCIe cardRAM 4GB 800MHZ PC2-6400CH YokeCH PedalsGoFlight GF45, GF-MCP, GFp8, GF-TQ6, GF-LGT, GF T8UTX CanadaScenery TechFSGenesisFS scene all seasons North AmericaPMDG 400X FSX Deluxe with SDK and SP2FS2Crew PMDG For FSXASX SP2ASX Graphics SP2FSUIPC registered weather off.FSINN 1.3 Weather off.regardsGary

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

I'm running full right right scenery and autogen weather, and airline traffic now (WOAI), and getting 18-20fps on the ground with the 744X in most areas, (Lower at places like JFK), The key is to turn off bloom (I think everyone knows that by now), ground shadows (Almost as bad as bloom) - Aircraft shadows are ok, and keep water at 2xlow.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest Foizman

>There isn't a machine alive that can run FSX full right slidders, read again NONE not even a "Lamborghini." Even if your slidders are full right today's hardware include yours isn't capable of generating all that FSX has to offer.Hi Gary,if that's true, it would be interesting to me which development platform Microsoft FSX-Team or PMDG use cause I hardly can't imagine that they implement sliderpositions that are not renderable on any testmachine worldwide before release. I think there's a Cray in the backyard...@tom: 20fps sounds acceptable to me, is it possible to show some screenshots to see the difference (with/without bloom)?Maybe it would be a new feature to FSX to let framekillers (like bloom and/or ground-shadows) be turned of automatically if the framerate falls below (e.g.) 20fps to maintain the game playable. By the way, is there already a freeware available which exactly handly this: "dyn. shaping details vs. frame-rate-limits"?regards,Volker