Sign in to follow this  
anthonyrees

Autobrake Disengage Issue 737 & 747 (not X version)

Prior to landing I sometimes deploy the autobrakes to the 2 or 3 settings, depending on the runway length ahead. However, after applying manual braking and slowing down to a stop, these do not disengage and the switch does not flip back to the off position, as it is supposed to.I had a brief discussion with a 737-800 NG and 747-400 rated captain from SAA yesterday, and he told me that if one applies pressure to the brakes manually when the aircraft has slowed down to a safe +/- 60 or 70 knots, the auto brake automatically disengages.This does not occur in the sim on both models, as I always have to do it manually before the airraft slows down to a complete stop half way down the field. Am I doing something wrong, or it this a limitation of the simulated model?A reply would be greatly appreciated.RegardsAnthony ReesCape Town (FACT)South Africa

Anthony,When commencing approach, you select Autobrakes at the desired level (1, 2, 3 or Full) and once you have landed and slowed down to a reasonable speed, hit the brakes with your trigger button on your joystick (if set up like mine) to disengage the autobrakes. The autobrakes switch will not move back to the Off position by itself. You have to move it back manually (from the Disengage position, if memory serves correctly). That's the way it is in the real world and that's how it is with PMDG's products.Hope this helps.

I use pedals and the autobrakes move to disarm after I add brake pressure and stow the thrust levers. When I turn of the active I switch the autobrakes to off.Rob

Rob Prest

My question is not answered sufficently, so perhaps the PMDG team can assist.In the real world the autobrake switches automatically click back to the 'off' position after reducing speed to under say 60 knots and applying foot brakes.In the sim, this does not occur, as one has to manually click the autobrakes back to the 'off' position. This is perhaps a modeling / logic oversight by PMDG. I say this because even when one has reveresd power to idle on landing and applied reverse thrust, then slowed down to below 60 knots, the autobrake does not disengage automatically. On my sim the aircraft is still under autobrake control right until dead stop, even after applying joystick braking.

Well then thats a problem with your setup, works fine here. I use the Saitek rudder peddals. When I apply toe brakes and Reversers are stowed, Autobrakes move to disarm and I get a upper Eicas message in yellow 'AUTOBRAKES' check your throttle calibration.RobAS far as I'm aware the real aircraft does not switch to 'off' it moves to disarm

Rob Prest

"I had a brief discussion with a 737-800 NG and 747-400 rated captain from SAA yesterday, and he told me that if one applies pressure to the brakes manually when the aircraft has slowed down to a safe +/- 60 or 70 knots, the auto brake automatically disengages".You're talking about two different aircraft here. One aircraft type has an electromagnetic latch as part of the Autobrake Selector Switch, the other doesn't. The 744 Autobrake Switch SHOULD trip to the DISARM position if you touch the toe brakes. The 737NG Switch should NOT. However, effectively, BOTH types of autobrake system will disarm.Perhaps you did not provide enough information to the SAA pilot for him to clarify (I'm sure he wasn't lying to you :))If your 744 Autobrake Switch is not tripping to the DISARM position, then yes, you have a problem. Are you getting the red Flight Sim braking message at the bottom of your screen when you apply the toe brakes?Cheers.Q> イアン