Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

747-400: How dark should "cold'n dark" be ?

In a truly C&D situation with the Queen, is the entire overhead panel dark and switched to OFF? Would any switches display ON in a C&D cockpit? I am unclear on this as I've seen a couple of C&D situations in the sim where not everything was in fact dark and switched to OFF. Appreciate any info/guidance on this, thanks.Jonathan

Cold and Dark is more of a Flight Sim event than daily reality on the line. Usually, the aircraft is on a turn (or even quick turn) and will be serviced for a prompt departure. Time on the ground is lost revenue- billing for seat miles is where its at! This usually means that Ground Power remains established, Nav Lights ON, sometimes LOGO on as well (night). In addition, Utility and Battery will usually be on, and the Standby Switch will remain in Auto. Packs (or at least Pack 1) usually remain on as do the Trim Air and Recirc Fans (temp based). Gen, Hyd and Fuel Pump switches are usually off- esp. the Hyd- don't want to whack the fueler...... Emerg. lighting off, as well as Yaw Damp. Window heat......again depends on the length of the turn. APU (and APU Gen) is usually off until a few minutes prior to push (fuel=$$$). The IRS' are left in Nav on quick turns, and allowed to spin down :) on long layovers.I am NOT typed so take all this with a grain of salt- we are fortunate to have several real world operators of the 744 here- perhaps Q or Cowpatz or Alex can chime in and clarify.....Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Thanks. I just didn't know how much stuff is left ON or active in a C&D situation. I've had some things go horribly wrong with one or two C&D situations in the sim. I finally resolved to just close down everything on the plane and black out the entire overhead so I have a totally cold'n dark cockpit to work on; and it has helped hugely. I can now start up everything just right without some hideous alert/siren and something going irretrievably wrong in the process. But I wanted to ask about this as I didn't know how realistic such a set-up is.Jonathan

Jonathan-If you load the DEFAULT Cessna, turn everything OFF and then save the flight at your home base (or if the default is fine- that's ok too) you should be fine. Once that loads, then select the PMDG Boeing of your choice. That done, load your panel state.If you delete your prior panel state file, follow those steps, save a new panel state exactly as you want it and then do this EACH time you want to fly the 744- you should minimize your load issues and everything else in the bargain!Enjoy!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

At airports with curfews (e.g. no flying between 11pm and 5~6am), you will see a number of aircraft dead-shipped (always fun to power up the aircraft the next day for the pilots :) )A dead ship in my part of the world includes the following (with all other switches remaining in ON/AUTO):IRS's OFFBattery switch OFFStandby Power switch OFF/AUTO depending on carrier requestHydraulic Demand Pumps (only) OFFEmergency Light switch OFFContinuous Ignition switch OFF (if someone forgets to turn it off)Fuel switches generally the way the pilots left them (all pumps off and valves configured for Tank-To-Engine (the inboard X-Feed valves are guarded and never touched under normal circumstances)NAI/WAI OFFWindow Heat (sometimes off, sometimes on)Gasper and Recirc Fans may be off already to prevent loadshedding using a single external power source, but if not, I just leave them as they were.Packs OFFBleed Isolation and APU Bleed generally off (we don't want any nasty surprises when we power up the APU).Lights mostly off (Nav lights are not so critical, they may be left on).Radar turned OFF at EFIS control panels (if someone has forgotten to turn it off)Display screens at lowest intensity (including CDU's).Seat Belt sign should already be OFFTCAS in STBYFlight Deck door security system disarmed (in case we lock ourselves out) :(All doors closed and security seals applied when required. Aerobridge away from aircraft. Ext Power unit gens disconnected (if there is one)Hope this helps.Q> Ян

Thanks, Q -- and Carl. Much appreciated!Jonathan