Sign in to follow this  
NicholasB

Loss of Autothrottle and on Vatsim and full rudder defelection on landing

Hi Guys,Would appreciatee some help for the following.Last night I decided to fly on Vatsim for the first time in ages. Everything appeared to be normal untill about half into my climb to FL380. At that point I received a FMC message and noticed alot of starange behaviour. FMC message was "Unable Cruise Altitude" strange behaviour was: that VNAV had disengaged and Vertical speed was active at a slow rate 400pm climb. I tried to re-engage VNAV, but the aircraft was unable to climb and leveled off. My next idea was to try and engage speed hold and climb using VS but the airspeed conitued to drop. Curios about the problem and trying to seek a resolution, I then turned of the Auto throttle and master switch and then re-engaged it again and clicked VNAV hold. Again nothing. repeated this again and on the second time clicked spped hold along with VS hold. Nothing. becoming very concerned i then made some manual inputs with the power levers. These manual inputs seemed to work. (the Vnav and Lnav guidance appeared to be working at all stages, however the autothrottle in any mode did not). So in the end I flew 90% of my flight from Athens to Frankfurt nurturing the power levers manualy. This was a challenge but i must say was kind of exciting dealing with this unexpected scenario and still be able to make a safe landing..lolNevertheless this is definetly abnormal behaviour and would love some advice.Rudder problem: landing was fine and on the centerline, however when exiting the runway the aircraft for some reason suddenly reacted with a full left rudder deflection making it almost impossible to steer on the ground. The only way i could react to this was to counter steer in the opposite direction with my YOke ( i dont have rudder pedals so I always use autorudder.Flying on Vatsim is so rewarding but this little issue make it a pain in the #### for me and ATC. So again id love some advice or tips to resolve this.i have added some pics which i hope might help.Cheers,NicholasBPS you will notice from the pics, that while trying to maintain speed during climb and cruise, i literaly cooked the engines!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183691.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183692.jpg

Nicholas,It sounds like you were trying to maintain an altitude unsuitable for your weight and wx conditions. What was your gross weight at this time. What did FMS report as OPT and MAX flight levels? What was your OAT? I can see your TAT is +52

Hi Matts, Thanks for the quick reply. Well payload was 2/3 full and fuel was only about 100,000lbs. So i defeintely dont think it was a weight problem. FMC opt fligt levels were fl370-fl410. So once again i think weather is the culprit!!. Are you aware of a way that i can use FSX fair weather conditions while on the Vatsim Network using FS Inn?Any Ideas as to why any autothrottle mode did not work?Chers and thanksNicholasB

Looks like you were using the VATSIM weather. There is a known issue with FSInn 1.3 which gives the wrong temps above about 10,000 feet and this is the reason you could not climb. The temp at +25 is too high and should be minus something. Use ASX or the FSX weather instead of FSInn.The deviation on landing is because the autopilot would still have been on. It would have been trying to keep it on the centre line. Disconnect auto-throttle and dis-engage Auto-pilot and you should be right.I have flown many flights on Vatsim recently and the only issue I had was the +25 degree one and I could not climb either. I turned it off and use ASX now if I want true weather.John Veldthuishttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa475.png

Thanks John,Hope this will solve the problem, anyway im back to Vatsim tonight to give it another bash. Too much fun and realism.NicholasB