Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Cause of violent wind changes?

Dang, Pete rolls out FSUIPC betas faster than I can browse...From his latest FSX beta thread updated today:FSUIPC4 version 4.231This is an interim update containing only the DLL, no Installer. Please be sure to first install 4.20 properly. This can be downloaded from http://www.schiratti.com/dowson http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/FSUIPC4231.zipVersion 4.231 includes the following improvements and corrections over 4.20:1. The facility to limit the surface wind speed (up to 1000' AGL) is now working, with a smooth transition automatically operating at the 1000' mark even if wind smoothing is not enabled.2. Experimental facilities for pressure smoothing and temperature smoothing have been added, but these are not yet regarded as permanent features until fully tested and confirmed as non-detrimental to some of the more advanced aircraft add-ons. The temperature smoothing in particular is not likely to survice to the next main User Release, but feedback may change this.Neither smoothing action is currently controllable from the on-line options. You have to edit the INI file before running FSX. I may change this if the facility proves worthwhile.These are the parameters, which go into the [General] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file. Check to see if they already there before adding them:PressureSmoothness=0TemperatureSmoothness=0With these zero values the options are off. Otherwise set the number of 1/100ths of an hectoPascal (hPA or mb), or degree Celsius, which you wish to allow changing, at most, each second.For example:PressureSmoothness=20TemperatureSmoothness=50sets pressure smoothness at 5 seconds per hPA, and temperature smoothing at 2 seconds per degree.. . .

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

>SB3 won't work on VATSIM with FSX Richard.>To fly VATSIM with FSX you need FSInn (http://www.mcdu.com/)>or wait for the next version of SB.One addendum to that, you need to make absolutely sure you get v1.3 of FSInn and v1.7 of FSCopilot from the MCDU site for use with FSX. These are not on the downloads page, they're linked from a post in the forum.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

helloi see u run radar contact over a network, i too have set this up but find it very slow to respond this way , do you have this problem too?kav

No promblem here. But I do run a 1Gb LAN between the two PC's so I get a good response time.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Al: A couple of more betas later, Pete seems to have made great progress. Have you been keeping up?I flew a KSEA-KMCI successfully until final descent when I got hammered by IAS spikes (didn't see wind shifts, just IAS). He's tweaked the code for turbulence/gusts and I tried again at KDFW yesterday (where there was a significant wind variance) but couldn't duplicate the problem.I am trying to find a bumpy approach to test the latest beta, give her a try yourself. Get a copy of WeatherSet2 if you haven't already, it provides a separate window view of internal FS wx parameters. Pretty neat.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yup, but tyring to keep up with Pete is endevour in of itself, LOL...See my thread with screenies on Pete's forum (~ PMDG 744X feedback - Caution Dialup) that I posted last night...I setup a saved flight about 140nm out from Honolulu with full VNAV approach for quick repeatability.Roger that about WeatherSet2, I'll have to check it out...He he he, Pete just posted v4.234 beta as I'm writing this reply!

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I've been keeping a running thread with Pete as well with my experiences. I had the crazy IAS jumping the other day and used WeatherSet2 to look at the winds. I was cruising at FL390 and there were wind layers at 38996 from 112 degrees, and 39006 from 304 degrees. The Wind flag was swinging like crazy! I was caught between the spurious layers. The latest 4.234 is supposed to take care of these narrow spurrious layers. I can't wait to try it out this evening. Overall, the smoothing seems to be working real nicely.Kylehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

I like this WeatherSet2 utility Dan! A lot of live environment info all in one page.For anyone else viewing this thread:You can download the most recent version of WeatherSet2 from Pete's Forum Sticky:FSX DOWNLOADS and UPDATES [updateDate]http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=55488Scroll down the this lengthy thread and look for the bold heading:TrafficLook and WeatherSet/WeatherSet2 utilitiesDirect WeatherSet2 download URL:http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/WeatherSet.zipThis is snapshot I took while on descent with the PMDG 744X.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184412.jpg

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Al:I tried 4.234 yesterday afternoon, but had two CTDs during descent in the 747X. I ran out of time to isolate the problem, I was also running ASX and WeatherSet2 but the only thing that changed from my last flight before CTD was the beta version. Have you tried it?I noticed the Shift-Z info line indicated a IAS a little higher than shown on the aircraft... never noticed that before. Might be unrelated.I'm unable to get past the surf guard at work to get to Pete's forum.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yea, I used .234 last evening and posted my results in my PMDG feedback thread on Pete's forum. No issues noted although Pete didn't find last night's feedback very useful as I wasn't encountering any gusty layers. I did post 6 WeatherSet2 pics in my reply. Good find about that tool. I also posted info about it in the HiFiSim forum. I didn't notice any IAS discrepencies, but I wasn't looking at IAS on the Shift-Z line, just wind hdg/spd, sorry.We need to find a short flight with a known metar date/time to download historically through ASXsp2 and compare flights. I also think ASX settings need to be reletively the same as well. Also, barometer smoothing testing in my opinion needs to be done over the Atlantic as that is where I've always had issues. Unfortunitly, I won't have time for a trans-oceanic flight until maybe this coming weekend.Regards,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Hi Dan,I tried FSUIPC4.236 today with Vista, FSX and ASX for a flight CYVR-EDDK. Initially a great improvement, although I had sudden jumps of the speed tape every 3 or 4 minutes by up to 400 feet. Then I noticed I had no wind vector on my ND and ground speed showing the same as my IAS. So I restarted ASX, but to no avail. So I saved and restarted FSX + ASX 2 hours into the flight.This produced a commanded speed of M.841 at FL330 but the aircraft stayed at M.783. Still no wind vector, even after ASX indicated that it had finished loading. Cannot engage LNAV - trying to produces the FMS message NOT ON INTERCEPT HEADING. Then the aircraft started to wander to the left and I couldn't stop it.Eventually, while trying to recover the situation, I got the stick shaker and decided to end the flight by jumping out of the window!I shall report to Peter Dowson on his website.Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Al,Give this route a try (KSEA-SUMMA6.BKE-MLD-PITMAN-BINKE-PNH.UKW9-KDFW at FL390). It is the one I am testing and providing Pete feedback on. I use ASX with default settings and ASX wind smoothing off. I use archived ASX weaher from Feb 3 at 2000Z. Anywhere from 100 - 0 nm before the BKE VOR, I have serious wind shifts, and IAS hold issues. The winds at my archived time are not too bad 319@42. They shift to 48 degrees then 111 degrees. Get repeated overspeed and stick shaker. The IAS issues last until about 200 miles past BKE if I make it that far (I usually get a CTD even with the latest 4.237). I am reflying now with all smoothing off, and am about 400 miles from KDFW, without a CTD.I tried other date/times as well, and have the exact same problem in that same area. One night, the winds were 112 knotts, and the shift caused the Queen's IAS to go to Mach 1.01 :-eek, then drop to Mach 0.65.System specs and software versions may have an impact as well. I am running a Q6600 overclocked to 3.2GHz, 4 GB RAM on a nvidia 680i SLI MB, and a 8800GTX/768 graphics card, Creative XFi Fatal1ty sound card. FSX/Acceleration on Vista 64 for main machine. ASX is running on a networked box running XP along with WideClient and WeatherSet2.Kylehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

RichardIn that version of FSUIPC go to the Cloud page and check the "suppress cloud turbulance" box. I've been testing this for Pete also (in the 747X) and suppressing cloud turbulence definitely solves the LNAV problem for now. It's a workaround but he has sent some detailed examples to PMDG for analysis.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Thanks Kyle, trying the FP & metar now. Just to clarify, there is no intersection called PITMAN (with an 'A'). I assume you meant PTIMN (without an 'A').Also posted my intentions in your thread on Pete's forum.Regards,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE