Sign in to follow this  
Guest tmetzinger

737NG TCAS question

Guest tmetzinger

I did some searching on the forum and couldn't find this specifically addressed, so here goes...When I first got the 737 and was working with TCAS, I used Squawkbox and VATSIM, and I would swear that traffic sitting on the ground never showed up on the TCAS display, even when I had the "show non-threatening traffic" option checked.Since then I've done several rebuilds of the computer, and am using FSInn for VATSIM. I noticed today while flying into KDEN that traffic sitting on the ground showed up in my TCAS display.So, I'm wondering:Is it normal for TCAS to show traffic on the ground?Is it limited to FSInn?Could I have a configuration error?In the root of the FS9 Directory I have the TCAS2V7.dll, version 1.1.6.0. I also have the TCAS2v7.ini file, below.[Filtering]Range=100Altitude=100Speed=30[smoothing]Enabled=1MaxCoast=20Alpha=0.4[Logging]Enabled=0I'm set to use FSUIPC traffic (version 3.75).This isn't a big issue, and I know I can turn off the non-threatening traffic for the most realistic experience. I just wondered if this is "normal".

I really am not aware if it's normal or SOP in various airports, correct me if i'm wrong but as far as I know TCAS is activated along with the strobe lights when cleared for TO and deactivated when vacating the runway after LDG. However in certain cockpit videos I noticed that it was active while cockpit preparation.Traffic showing up on the ground could be something to do with FSInnThanks for bringing up the issue, any information about real world operations would be great!Onur

Guest tmetzinger

No, what I meant by NORMAL was "Is the PMDG TCAS SUPPOSED to show traffic on the ground?" Or do I have something set wrong somewhere?

"No, what I meant by NORMAL was "Is the PMDG TCAS SUPPOSED to show traffic on the ground?""Traffic on the ground should not appear on your displays (in real life). Sitting at the gate, you can see traffic landing, but a second or two after they have touched down, the targets disappear. This is probably because their transponders automatically stop transmitting most forms of ATC data after touchdown.When YOU are in the air, targets determined to be within a certain distance of the ground are not shown on the displays (Your TCAS assumes they have landed).This should be modelled in PMDG.Cheers.Q> イアン

>This should be modelled in PMDG.Yep, that's how it's modelled in PMDG , at least for the 737's , I don't think there is a setting enabling TCAS to see traffic on the ground.Onur

Guest tmetzinger

Sigh... Let me try again.When airborne, in the PMDG 737-800, departing an airport, I see TCAS targets corresponding to parked multiplayer aircraft on the ground, when I'm connected to VATSIM with FSInn. These airplanes are not moving and are on the ground.I don't care what the real-life aircraft does - I know it doesn't display these targets.I want to know if the PMDG TCAS software is supposed to suppress multiplayer targets based on speed or altitude parameters, and if so, where those parameters are set if they are user-changable. I may be missing a file or something. If the PMDG TCAS software is NOT supposed to suppress these targets, then I know that what I'm seeing doesn't indicate a problem with my software.Thanks again,Tim Metzinger