Sign in to follow this  
signmanbob

I Think I got my Problem Solved

I think I solved my problem with the PMDG 747 X. I had the problem of getting the error message that I ran out of memory.I lowered my screen resolution down to 1280 by 960 32 from 1680 by 1050 32 and PMDG 747 not only still looks great, but runs smooth as silk. I actually got an FPS of 20.9 in some areas. Within the airports it's down to about 14 but still looks very smooth.I made a complete short flight from EGLL to LFPD with an ILS landing on RWY 9L and didn't get the OOM error at all. Hoorra!!I am running Vista 32 bit with Intel Core2 Quad and never could get just a few miles from the departure airport before I would get the OOM error.I thought that I would post this for anyone that may have been struggling with the same problem.

Which video card do you have?

Dan Downs KCRP

I have a nVidia 8800 GTS. I also have 3.5 Gigs of RAM. That is why it was confusing me why I would get the OOM message.I read on PMDG's Wiki that the 747 X didn't work well in Vista 32 , but I think that was written before Microsoft released their memory patch.Someone told me here to download the memory patch, but I thought it would smart to contact the computer shop that built my unit and ask them about this patch. They said that they had already installed it.I wasn't getting any OOM memory problems with the other airline sims, but if I loaded a flight with PMDG then switched to another aircraft like Level D, I would still get the OOM error.I noticed on the PMDG support Wiki that no resolutions in the scenarios were set as high as mine was set. I went ahead and lowed mine to what they had them in the PMDG scenarios and it worked perfect.The amazing thing is that there is no apparent degradation in the display appearance of the cockpit or scenery, but the FPS is very good. My PMDG 747 X is working great in Vista 32 bit and I am a happy camper.

Guest UPS523

Vista is a memory pig

Strange, I have almost the same except I have a 8800GTX and only 2GB of memory. I run at much higher screen resolution (1920x1024 from memory)with everything turned up to the max. While I did get the OOM error for a little while once I did the 3GB patch everything has been fine since and I always get 26fps (locked at 26) in the air and since I put my quad core in 16fps on the ground and built up areas.John Veldthuishttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa475.png

John,Your getting better FPS than I am, that's for sure. I may still be having something the needs to be tweeked but even with the lower FPS my sim is running smooth.Maybe as time goes on I can figure out from reading forums, some better settings. But for right now I am happy. I flew the Queen of FSX for several hours last night without any problems. (until a tree fell on a power poll and knocked my electric out. Party time over).

Thanks John. I will look for that reduced trees file. That does sound like it will help in an area that won't effect the looks very much.I flew the Queen of FSX for another three hours last night and it did excellent. I love this PMDG 747. It is quite awesome.

>I think I solved my problem with the PMDG 747 X. I had the>problem of getting the error message that I ran out of>memory.>I lowered my screen resolution down to 1280 by 960 32 from>1680 by 1050 32 and PMDG 747 not only still looks great, but>runs smooth as silk. Did you set your desktop to the new resolution, or just FSX?Thanks,John