Sign in to follow this  
eurowing

Time acceleration and ATC

hi all,yesterday i did my first long range flight using 744/FSX since i was flying the 744 in FS9.i don't like flying real time on a 10 hour flight, so i use time acceleration (usually 8x sim rate). it is kinda hard to keep ATC happy doing that and there was a "trick" that worked in FS9. back then i would wait until a handoff and then just not contact the next center controller until i have crossed the pond and go back to 1x sim rate. they would then give me crazy headings to fly which i would acknowledge but i would stay on my current course. after a few complaints ATC would eventually tell me to resume own navigation and it was all good.well, yesterday (FSX) ATC just kept telling me to expedite turn to heading 315 over and over again. it just wouldn't stop (prob. 10 minutes) so i was getting ready to cancel IFR and then i was given the runway to expect and vectors for the ILS which is good. so from then on i was 'back in the game'. however, until that point i was getting that heading assignment without ending.how do you guys handle time acceleration with ATC? i know that this is not really the right forum for this kind of question but i figure this is where most of the long ranger hang out...thanks!

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

Guest tmetzinger

Recommend ditching MS ATC altogether, and fly online with VATSIM, or waiting for a third-party ATC program that may be smart enough to deal with acceleration. MS ATC is not designed to support acceleration - you've already suspended reality, why bother with ATC?

anybody with a solution still using default atc?thanks!

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

The problem is not ATC! It's the 744 LNAV drift problem. As it drifts outside of about 4 miles of the flightplan ATC will vector you back towards it. In the case you described it will usually initially vector you to the next way point after the frequency change, which by the time you acknowledged it is usually behind you. If you are on coarse it will then instruct to continue normal navigation. Because of the drift problem this doesn't happen. To correct this, set an intercept heading back on coarse, Once you intercept it ATC will instruct the correct heading, and resume navigation. Lefteris has posted that they have done things to fix this problem in the next patch. Of coarse, if you don't intercept it by the time ATC times out, ATC will cancel IFR on you!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

interesting you say that, Tom. i was doing the same thing using the LD767 and i got one vector away from course and then the heading to the next waypoint (and resume own nav). this is also how i remember it from fs9 (gotta say though that was a much shorter distance that i skipped ATC since it was only a 1,000nmn flight).i haven't had the chance yet to try the 744 again, but according to the ND i was perfectly on course. are you saying the plane drifts off course but it looks as if you were on course looking at the ND? i remember reading posts where people were off track but the ND would actually show.either way, i had only that one try so far. will try again hopefully soon.regards,

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

When you say the ND showed you on coarse, what range setting were you? If I set it to 40 or 80 it looks like it's on course too, turn it down to 10miles and you'll see the drift. (If you are affected by this problem.) It's mostly noticeable when there is a long distance between way points.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

i'll check that as soon as i get a chance.life itself is just too time consuming ;)regards,

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

We've got some LNAV tweaks/fixes in the upcoming service release... sit tight and try those out when it comes out.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com