Sign in to follow this  
Guest AnglaisEnUzes

Detaching PDF/ND/EFIS/MCP displays or using "external" displays?

Guest AnglaisEnUzes

Hi guys,I am on the verge of buying the FS9 version of the 747-400. I have a couple of questions though... If anyone can help I would be very grateful.1) Can the PFD/ND/EFIS/MCP panels be "detached" from the 2D panel and arranged on a second monitor? I would like to have my main monitor with a fullscreen external view, and my secondary monitor for instruments.2) If the answer to the above is no, what is the best way to get external panels? I have heard that Project Magenta is quite expensive (and I really want the displays on the same system - not another networked PC).Reality XP's Jet Line 4 seems well priced, but I don't think it's compatible (and if it is, I doubt it is "fully featured").Again, with reference to 1), I would also like to detach the MCP, but am also thinking of getting the GoFlight MCP Pro hardware unit. Is this compatible?Many thanks,Martin Hughes

Martin,Yes the displays can be detached and displayed on a second monitor (not a second PC). I do not know however if the positions can be saved. You might have to reposition for every flight.The MCP can not be detached.Hopefully someone else can fill you in on your other thoughts.Hope it helps,

I have the MCDU, Lower EICAS, And Engine start levers running on a second monitor. I dont see a way of undocking the PFD, ND, Upper EICAS as they have no borders. It is possible to save the positions on a second monitor just do a search on google. My work around to get the upper EICAS on the second monitor is to use the Panel switching (you can move the Flight displays around on the real Aircraft) The Lower EICAS is normaly blanked out anyway during most flights after engine start and FLT control checks( I assume to cut down on replacing LCD screens)Rob

Rob Prest

Guest AnglaisEnUzes

Mats, thanks for the reply!Rob - will check Google. Thanks!Can someone confirm if I need to set up my monitors in a special way? Flying any of the default aircraft I cannot drag the screens across to monitor 2 - do I need to stretch the main window across both monitors (which I think means that I can't run it in fullscreen mode...), and then have my main view in "windowed" mode on monitor 1?Or does the PMDG 747 have a special method of doing this so I don't need to bother setting up FS in a special way?Thanks,Martin

Martin,I assume you are talking about FS9 as the full screen multi monitor support is a bit sketchy at best. FOr FS9 you go to windowed mode. Undock the windows you want on the second monitor. Move them and enter full screen mode. Now both your screens should be in full screen mode with the windows you moved on the second.FOr FSX the full screen mode has changed and it is possible to drag and drop windows to a second monitor without going through the above process.Hope it helps,

Guest AnglaisEnUzes

Thank you!Yeah I'm on FS9 - will give that a go (whilst being aware of the sketchiness... :) )M

Guest damaralbt

Hi guys.I have almost the same question.I have FSX and i can drag to second monitor some parts.But the best of them i cant, cause PMDG dont let me do it.I want do drag PFD and ND to put on MIP, i just started to make it now, and want to put it there.If we can drag the popup views, would be perfect for it.May be PMDG team can think about it.I think its not hard to do, and can help a lot of us to make a best home cockpit.:)Just can drag and resize this parts.PMDG is the best aircraft to simulate, i think.But to make a MIP with it is a little hard cause any other software works together to help us, use PM systems is impossible, quite expensive.I tested a good software for it, is FsXPand, it runs in another network PC (perfect for FSX and homecockpit), cause FSX is so heavy.But it dont work with PMDG.PMDG team could make some software like that one.If is hard to make it, maybe, can sell it separately.If PMDG had it, think all guys that want to make a homecockpit would want it.Cause we would have the best airplane to simulate, with all software we would need to make a perfect MIP.Think about it guys, please!tks

Some feedback for the PMDG team:You guys really need to make the MCP undockable!I have a multiple screen set up: the lowest screen contains PFD, ND and chronograph. It should also contain the MCP.It overcame that problem by creating a new window with VC and zooming into the MCP.Reason: if you use an IrTracker, it's too hard to grab a knob...Best Regards,Bert.