Sign in to follow this  
pbelb

747-400X logo lighting

I like flying the Qantas painted 747-400X, but am surprised that the logo doesn't get lit up at night when the logo switch is most definitely turned on.what's up with that?

I just checked and the logo light is being lit. Try reinstalling. Also, please sign your name when you post a question per our forum rules. We like to know who we're helping ;-)Thanks

I've seen this happen in my gaming sessions as well, but with other re-paints - even the originals. Re-installing might help for a few sessions, but it's not a real solution.Unfortunatly, I don't have the answer as to why it does this. For me, it seems quite random, though I'm sure with some proper testing, the reason for it could be figured out by someone who found it bothersome enough (and smarter than I am!).Sorry I could not help you more, but maybe this confirmation of your issue will be better recieved than the typical, frustrating reply of just "reinstall".Steven

Steven,it's no less frustrating to have to reply with a "reinstall" but unless I can reproduce the problem that's the best I can come up with. I suspect this is a Vista and FSX issue more than an 744X problem. I'm not running Vista since I'm running on a Mac Book Pro with XP Pro under boot camp and can not take advantage of DX10 under Vista. If the user is on XP Pro then I can delve a little bit deeper but with very little to go on, "reinstall" is the best on offer right now.

Mr. Sterling,In my experience from reading posts on this forum (and others that deal with FSX and it's add-ons), the most common reply to a bug report or problem is "reinstall", thus my use of the term "typical" to describe your response.I also used the word "frustrating", as I suspect from having seen this issue myself, that reintalling will not fix his/her problem. I feel frustrated myself when I solicit advice from support represenatives and thier advice does not resolve the issue. Thus my use of this term.I have posted but a few times here, as I rarely have an intelligent, factual response to the questions posed here. I lack the knowledge and experience that many of the others here possess, and am not imbued with a need for conflict.My previous post is in keeping with my usual limited trappings, with the sole purpose being to corrrect what I saw as a common response which would only lead to frustration when it failed to resolve the OP's question. It was in no way meant to impune you, your response, PMDG, nor the 747X product.I apologize for not being more clear in my previous post. Unfortunatly, the limitaions on text as a medium of communication, especially in conveying emotion (or lack therof) all to often leads to incorrect negative interpretations. Cearly, I could have spent more time in typing my response so as to have been better understood.There is some good however from your minor misinterpretation of my post. You mentioned something that jogged my feeble memory - DX10 in Vista.I indeed use FSX on a Vista machine. I used the DX10 Preview setting a few times, but ended up turning it off. If I remember correctly, I noticed that once I turned off the DX10 Preview, upon my next gaming session, the logo light problem had cleared up. I never went back and tested this to be sure however, and given the recent demise of my FSX computer (picture a 3 year old upsetting a bottle of water into said computer - the sparks - the smoke - NO!) I am unable to confirm this hypothesis myself at this time. I strongly suspect however that this is indeed the case.Then again, as my wife often attests, I am not of sound mind. Perhaps someone here with a bit more intelligence than this writer has (and a Vista / DX10 machine that is not in need of a intensive care unit) could confirm?Best Regards,Steven

hello guys, I appreciate the feedback this thread is getting.for what it's worth:a) I'm using Vista x64 with the DX10 preview enabled.:( I see that the little lights in the tail are in fact coming on when they are supposed to.so, to clarify:even though the lights themselves are 'on', the light that is being cast has absolutely no effect on the lighting level on the stabilizer itself, along with any artwork that may be there.please advise.regards,Peter Belbin.

Peter,can you turn off the DX10 preview and try again?

well, after turning off dx10 preview, I now see the tail is illuminated.interesting.what next?it is supposed to work with dx10 isn't it?regards,peter belbin

And almost bet that you have a NVIDIA card. There is a problem with light effects under DX10 preview. From certain angles you loose the light.As far I "feel" in the foruns this doesn't apply to ATI cards but I can't confirm.Jos

yes, indeed, it *is* an NVIDIA card.....so this is a 'known problem'?regards,peter belbin