Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

APU operations

Guys, the easiest way to find out about BA Ops is to go to the PPRuNe site and post on one of their forums (probably the Tech Log forum is the best). Just ask for the *current* procedure for BA 744's. If you get 20 different answers from people who sound like they work for BA, then you'll know that they are just as confused as we are ;) Hint: Don't sound like you're from the FS world... Many have an (un)healthy disdain for simmers.On a pushback yesterday, on my airline, during engine start, at least one pack remained on (difficult to tell which one, though). I thought by now that ALL our aircraft had been modified. Maybe they have... Maybe old habits die hard. If it was a good thing to leave one pack running in the past, it not going to hurt now (and it helps to keep the pilots cool.. especially if pack 1 is left on). However, if your APU is getting a little old and you're sitting at a hot and high airport like Joburg or Denver, and your company policy is to start 2 engines at once, then that might be the best time to switch off all packs for start ;)I really don't know why the APU is not utilised in flight. Maybe it's because the APU powers the Ground Handling Busses... and you don't want glitches in the electrical system to start opening cargo doors in flight. Maybe it's because a fire/explosion in the tail would really mess up your day (very close to all the pitch and yaw systems). Note that in the latest Qantas BKK incident, even that aircraft had one AC Bus running (they discovered later). So total main bus power losses really are a rare event. Note that in that incident, the APU generators probably wouldn't have come on line anyway (sync bus control was faulty). It's like the volcanic ash incident BA experienced... the APU would have choked up, too, had they tried to start it.I'm sure Boeing weighed up the pro's and con's, based on past events and made their decision about APU ops. However, if newer events tip the balance the other way, they may change that policy. I'm not sure how serious the modifications would have to be, though. e.g. I don't know if the current APU inlet door is ok for inflight ops.Cheers.Q> イアン

Hello Carl,>>BTW if anyone has a copy of RW BA checklists and wouldn't mindsharing, I'd LOVE to find one in my inbox!!!!<

Lee James
Desktop Pilot - www.virtualairlinepilot.org

Instagram - virtualairlinepilot_lee
Check out my Adventure Videos & FS Reviews on YouTube at VirtualAirlinePilot !

spacer.png

Many thanks Lee, the one I use was copied from an "On the Flight Deck" series that covers a BA 744 flight from EGLL-VHHX. That one seems almost exactly the same. I would appreciate a copy, and also, perhaps that will take care of any filter issues, I have tried emailing you repeatedly over the past year, and each time I get the email bounced back :(. Looking forward to your communication. Thanks!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Carl,>..... I would appreciate a copy, and also, perhaps that will take care of any filter issues, I have tried emailing you repeatedly overthe past year, and each time I get the email bounced back :(. Looking forward to your communication. Thanks!<

Lee James
Desktop Pilot - www.virtualairlinepilot.org

Instagram - virtualairlinepilot_lee
Check out my Adventure Videos & FS Reviews on YouTube at VirtualAirlinePilot !

spacer.png