Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nascar_Perry

NeedHelp assigning Switches, etc.

Guest Nascar_Perry

Here is my dilemma. I am in the process of creating a fully functional 737-800 Cockpit at home, and wish to use the PMDG 737 as the aircraft base of the simulator. But when I go to assign functions I use often and commonly found in flight, I can't because either MSFS does not have an assignment option for them and neither does PMDG..... for example....FWD and AFT Fuel Pumps (4 Swtiches)CTR Pumps (2 Switches)Crossfeed SwitchSeatbelts SwitchNo Smoking SwitchAPU SwitchElectrics Panel minus the battery switchThis is only a VERY small list of what I can't control through a key assignment that I can link through my GoFlight equipment or my Desktop Aviator 2040 Controller.Has anybody been able to correct this and make these switches assignable or uses a third party software that CAN control these switches?If not, a note to the PMDG Staff:Can you please include full control of ALL switches and controls in the Soon to be released PMDG 737NGX (which I hope is still FS9 compatible)so all switches, overhead or elsewhere can be assigned to a keyswitch or if possible, release an update to the current 737 with this functionality added (such as in a service pack)Getting very desperate.

Nameless,There has been a ton of posts about this. If you are truly serious about building your simpit you should consider something like Project Magenta.For the PMDG interface you might consider Mouse2Key (or something like that, I can't remember the name from the top of my head right now)Please do a search for PMDG's response to your request on this issue. It has been up for discussion before.And please sign all your posts with your name as per forum rules. It's nice to know who one is talking to.

Guest Nascar_Perry

My Bad, I will try and search again, but last night I came up empty searching both AVSIM and GoogleIf I fail to find anything, I will reply to this post.ThanksRobert Perry

Guest Nascar_Perry

I found only one dealing with PMDG and Assigning Switches, sadly this only dealt with the fuel cutoff switch located behind the throttle levers which I don't have any problems with. I hope to try and assign switches or buttons for some everyday flight options such as the APU Switch, etc.None of the posts I searched within (PSS, Level D) deal with this problem, especially since the Level D would have no bearing on the 737.As for Project Majenta, For one, there is only so much IT will do as well before it will start conflicting with PMDG's 737 Such as trying to assign the fuel pump switches (Tried It with the Demo) The fuel pump switches for the Project Majenta 737 system will respond, but fail to send an accurate command to PMDG's 737 because there is no command to send as PMDG has no way to receive that command..... secondly, while I would LOVE to own a copy of the Pilot & Co Pilot's sides of Project Majenta's PFD/ND/ECAIS and all other related system components, I don't have the money set aside to do that. The last price list I got from them in January of this year quoted the above mentioned software packaged together for about almost $2,000 USD. For now, I am able to control many other aspects of my flight with other software, but really need to figure this assignment problem out

Guest Nascar_Perry

Anyone Else?

Hallo Robert,Since PMDG does not want to release the internals Project Magenta is for most 737ng builders the only way to go. You may want to look at: http://www.737ng.co.uk/ because this gentleman is using the PMDG plane and emulating the overhead logics with his own hardware.One final consideration: after you have purchased and build all the hardware for a 737ng flightdeck, the cost of the PM software is maybe 10% of your total expenditure.Good luck with your project.Best regards,--pim

Guest robfather

Hi,I am using the PMDG 737NG and have about 60+ hardware switches working. To get these working I have had to use a combination of A Hagstrom Keyboard Emulator, Key2Mouse, and FSUIPC. Almost all of the overhead switches are working. The only drawback is that you have to have the overhead window open to activate most of the switches. Only MSFS switches such as lights, beacon, fuel cutoff etc can be activated thro FSUIPC. I also have some switches such as Fire Warning and Master Caution working using Key2Mouse and the Hagstrom. The Key2Mouse converts mouse clicks into keystrokes. To make full use of this, you will have to delete many of the keystroke combinations in FS and re-assign them to the Hagstrom encoder.It's quite simple really. Hope this helpsRob

Guest Nascar_Perry

oye... it will probably sound more simple if I read that a few more times. lol. But I do understand the concept. I also sent an E-Mail to PMDG and was informed that the expected 737 NGX soon to be released should address this problem. But I was also told that the more people who ask for this feature, the better chance it will be guaranteed. For the time being I will have to figure something out.... I guess setbacks make the goal more rewarding

Soon to be released? Personally I'd be very surprised if it's released even next year, but here's to hoping! :) It's the add-on to MSFS I'm looking forward to the most!But you also wrote that it "should adress this problem". Did their answer give any indication as to how? PMDG has several times stated that they will not open up their internal system so that it will be accessible like the LevelD. The alternative as I see it is having an abundancy of key assignments available. I'v many times contemplated building a dedicated 737 home cockpit too (check out http://www.flyengravity.com/) but I'd probably burn down the house in the process...

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest Nascar_Perry

This was the response from PMDG to my E-Mail to them......Robert, The items you are looking to create key assignments for are unfortunately not currently available from the software. It requires a complete re-write of the overhead panel in order to make things work properly and as such the decision was made to completely re-design the 737 from the ground up. We are currently working on the 737NGX and we hope to be able to offer this type of compatibility with the NGX but it is still to early in the development to say it will absolutely be part of the program. Make sure you make your intentions known on the forum that you really want this type of functionality added as the more people who voice there opinion, the more likely it is to make it happen. RegardsPaul GollnickManager Customer SupportPrecision Manuals Development Groupwww.precisionmanuals.com

Cockpit builders have been asking for these features for years. Its not new to the PMDG developers so I dont know how posting in the forums can somehow wake them out of that deep sleep when it comes to this topic.Gary

Yes, there must be hundreds of posts on this topic, not only on this forum but also in many of the hardware forums on the net. In fact there would be more, if it wasnt for the fact that people have seen PMDG argue the feature down so many times and that they wont release an SDK or publish the Offset values for Cockpit builders to use with their harware. Forums have even been locked to stop the disscusin going any further on this subject. If the "Other" Developers of the Airbus had this feature to their upcoming product, and the continued interest by the public to add hardware to their sims, then PMDG could find themselves left behind, Because the level D 767, their upcoming 757, then the new Buses, all with the functionality, leaving a tired 747 and 737 of PMDG that dont....hmmm what will you be flying?I hope if they are thinking of doing it, they also release this info into the 747 also, and I hope that they dont go down the short lived way of only supporting the rather limited G0-Flight option, and instead make it so people can use either pre-built or there own wired together hardware to interface with the sims. So if you want to make your own Gear leaver or light switch, etc, you can then interface to PMDG.In response to ROB, there a link somewhere on the opencockpits site that lists quite a few more of the unpublished FSPUIC offsets for the old PMDG 737, still not all of them, but may help a little more with you quest to interface some more of your hardware.I so want to fly my 747, but it just not real enough anymore since I use my addon MCP, throttle quadrants, etc with the level D with track IR, and not having to pause the IR to try and click with my Mouse on a button! LOL how 90'S! LOLBest RegardsJames

I, for the life of me cant understand why PMDG dont offer a standalone version of the software for cockpit builders similar to Project Magenta. We dont expect these features to be part of the desktop sim product and if they conducted a poll they would certainly see that. They have an outstanding product with a solid base from which to start from. The ground work for their aircraft has already been done.Im not saying that it would be easy, but financialy it would pay for itself in no time as builders would move across in droves. I get the feeling though the team thinks there are only a handful of builders across the globe. Maybe if they conducted a poll as I suggested earlier it would certainly raise some eyebrows. Maybe they are lying to us and really are multi millionaires and dont need the extra squillions that would come their way :-)Gary

A standalone version may be a good idea in the future, but it seems obvious to me at the moment there are quite a few people who are not Full all singing dancing cockpit builders, yet. But there are quite a few now interesed in at least a few add-on's. Wheter that be MCP, EFIS or just a few home built knobs and switches.Although it good to see drivers released for things like the GO-flight MCP and engravity FMC, I thik this is a limited way to go. For one the GO-flight MCP seems to be bug ridden, and very limited in its development and expansion. Also supporting a driver for just one peice of hardware, could be another aerosoft MCP issue all over again, that was a great piece of kit but is no longer available. To me the way to go is to develop and interface similar to that of what you have with the Level D. Using things like the opencockpits SIOC, and the great "Free" development by Nico of Lekseecon, that in its latest in carnation uses simconnect to interface with the sim. This way it leaves the user to build whatever or buy almost wahtever pre built kits, to interface in what ever setup they want with the sim. You could build a full cockpit or justhave a gear leaver switch. This way it means users on smaller budgets still get opportuity to slowly to develop their simming world over time, adding to their favourite aircraft as money and time permits, this way it continues to drive the sales of the PMDG software.I cant get it over enough to say how much more realistic it is to use just even an MCP with FS. you can sit in these wonderful VC, use track IR and not have all the difficulty of trying to still click on click spots while either keeping your head still or pausing track IR. so even users ona cheap budget get to have a realistic experience, without having o buy loads of monitors to put gauges all over the place, network pc's and and wrap around views. but of course they can progress into this as more money comes available using the SIOC environment.I have loved all the PMDG aircraft, brought everyone, flown them thousands of miles, but now I find them too unrealistic, and not because they arent great simulators, a true representations of the real aircraft, but because flying them using a mouse is just not realistic, when im manually flying an ILS and atc say slow to 160kts, being able to just twist my speed knob to 160, still look around out the window for the papis or other traffic and keep my hands on the throttle and controls without clicking too far on the mouse!So please PMDG, do the sensible thing, make your aircraft user friendly to the Builders out there!!!James